Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default PRoble with subtraction

Hi,

I have a problem in providing the right formula to perform a subtraction between two cells that contain themselves a formula.
Let's make an example:

CELL A1 = 95 (95 is the result of a formula)
CELL A2 = NOTHING (I mean that this cell contains a formula whose result is not existing because there are no values in the data source, normally I should see a DIV error but I used the IF(ISERROR,"",) etc. therefore the cell A2 looks empty.)

Now, when I put the formula = A1-A2 instead of getting 95 a get nothing, therefore the final resul is wrong.

Can anybody explain me why I cannot subtract 95 - nothing? It should give me 95 anyhow, or not.....

Thank you
Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi ALex
You will not be able to perform your mentionned operation if one of the
dependent cells contain "" (which is NOT nothing)
Amend your formula in A2 and replace "" with 0
And Untick "Zero values" in the Tools, Option, View tab
HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"Metallo" a écrit dans le message de

I have a problem in providing the right formula to perform a subtraction

between two cells that contain themselves a formula.
Let's make an example:

CELL A1 = 95 (95 is the result of a formula)
CELL A2 = NOTHING (I mean that this cell contains a formula whose result

is not existing because there are no values in the data source, normally I
should see a DIV error but I used the IF(ISERROR,"",) etc. therefore the
cell A2 looks empty.)

Now, when I put the formula = A1-A2 instead of getting 95 a get nothing,

therefore the final resul is wrong.

Can anybody explain me why I cannot subtract 95 - nothing? It should give

me 95 anyhow, or not.....

Thank you
Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use the N function in your situation:

=A1-N(A2)

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Metallo" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a problem in providing the right formula to perform a subtraction
between two cells that contain themselves a formula.
| Let's make an example:
|
| CELL A1 = 95 (95 is the result of a formula)
| CELL A2 = NOTHING (I mean that this cell contains a formula whose result
is not existing because there are no values in the data source, normally I
should see a DIV error but I used the IF(ISERROR,"",) etc. therefore the
cell A2 looks empty.)

| Now, when I put the formula = A1-A2 instead of getting 95 a get nothing,
therefore the final resul is wrong.

| Can anybody explain me why I cannot subtract 95 - nothing? It should give
me 95 anyhow, or not.....

| Thank you
| Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim

Your solution works fine as also Pascals'

Thank you!
Alex