Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro/function to indirectly reference table?

I have a table of employees which is 60 columns of hire month (60
months) by employee (20 rows). Also in the table are salary and start
month.

I'd like to know how to automatically have a way to (maybe a function
or macro) take the salary amount and plug it into the table once at
the start of the month table plus the start month. This would then be
replicated (by an existing formula in the table) thru the end of the
months.

I know I've seen something like this before, but I'm at a los of what
functions/commands to use to do this.

And suggestions on where to start to figure this out?

Thanks.

Alex Smariga

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alex,

Select all the cells that you want to do this with, then type in an equal
sign, hit the left arrow once, then hit Ctrl-Enter. This will create
references that propogate the value to the right. Enter the value in the
cell immediately to the left of the first cell in each row with that
formula, and you're done.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Alex Smariga" wrote in message
I have a table of employees which is 60 columns of hire month (60
months) by employee (20 rows). Also in the table are salary and start
month.

I'd like to know how to automatically have a way to (maybe a function
or macro) take the salary amount and plug it into the table once at
the start of the month table plus the start month. This would then be
replicated (by an existing formula in the table) thru the end of the
months.

I know I've seen something like this before, but I'm at a los of what
functions/commands to use to do this.

And suggestions on where to start to figure this out?

Thanks.

Alex Smariga

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bernie,

Thanks very much for the technique to create the table with
propogating values. Its a lot easier than the way I was doing it.
But... once I create the table. . .

My next problem is that I would like a function/macro that can look at
the "start month" cell (e.g the value of the cell may be 5, since they
start in month 5), and can copy the starting salary value in the
salary cell to the start column of the table plus "5" columns from the
beginning month cell.

I am manually doing that right now, entering the starting salary
number from the starting month cell after adding the start month to
the first cell. But it is tedious and error prone, for the number of
spreadsheets I have to maintain. Hence, the wish to have the
spreadsheet make the copy for me, since all the data is there.

Any hope?

Alex

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:56:47 UTC, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer
dot org wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alex,

Let's say that you have salaries in column A, and the starting month in
column B, and your data labels are in row 1, and you actual data starts in
row 2.
If the value in B1 is a 1, then your data propogation will start in column
C, if it is a 2, in column D, etc.

In cell C2, enter the formula
=IF(COLUMN()=($B2+COLUMN($B2)),$A2,"")
and copy as far down and as far right as you need.

I tried to make this compatible with what you are doing with my previous
post.