Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What is function that evaluates other functions indirectly?

I have two questions.

First, what is the name of the function that computes other functions
"indirectly"?

As I recall, it is something like SUBFUNCTION(funcNumber, funcArgs).
Obviously, SUBFUNCTION is the wrong name.

Second, how can I get a comprehensive list of Excel functions using
Excel Help (perhaps), either alphabetically or by category?

I know that if I enter a "similar" function name in Excel Help, Show
All gives me the option of getting a list of related functions in a
category. But I was unable to think of a function similar to what I
call SUBFUNCTION. I would have been content with exhaustively
searching a list of all Excel functions. But I was unable to get that
comprehensive list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Peter Noneley has an XL function dictionary which is very thorough, and can
be downloaded from he

http://www.xlfdic.com/

--
HTH,

RD

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have two questions.

First, what is the name of the function that computes other functions
"indirectly"?

As I recall, it is something like SUBFUNCTION(funcNumber, funcArgs).
Obviously, SUBFUNCTION is the wrong name.

Second, how can I get a comprehensive list of Excel functions using
Excel Help (perhaps), either alphabetically or by category?

I know that if I enter a "similar" function name in Excel Help, Show
All gives me the option of getting a list of related functions in a
category. But I was unable to think of a function similar to what I
call SUBFUNCTION. I would have been content with exhaustively
searching a list of all Excel functions. But I was unable to get that
comprehensive list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can't think what Function you are looking for.

SUMPRODUCT, INDIRECT, SUBTOTAL?

Download Peter Noneley's workbook from this site.

http://www.xlfdic.com/

Very good examples and usage of all the Excel Functions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 11 Feb 2007 16:42:56 -0800, "
wrote:

I have two questions.

First, what is the name of the function that computes other functions
"indirectly"?

As I recall, it is something like SUBFUNCTION(funcNumber, funcArgs).
Obviously, SUBFUNCTION is the wrong name.

Second, how can I get a comprehensive list of Excel functions using
Excel Help (perhaps), either alphabetically or by category?

I know that if I enter a "similar" function name in Excel Help, Show
All gives me the option of getting a list of related functions in a
category. But I was unable to think of a function similar to what I
call SUBFUNCTION. I would have been content with exhaustively
searching a list of all Excel functions. But I was unable to get that
comprehensive list.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Feb 11, 5:38 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
Can't think what Function you are looking for.
SUMPRODUCT, INDIRECT, SUBTOTAL?

Aha! SUBTOTAL() is what I had in mind. But I see that it is more
limited than I thought. It would not have solved my problem -- which
I already solved.

The following paradigm illustrates the problem I was trying to solve.
The following works:

=sumproduct(row(A1:$A$90))

Why doesn't the following work?

=sumproduct(row(A1:address(90,1)))

I thought perhaps I needed an Excel equivalent of the (Unix) ksh eval
"function". And based on a vague recollection of some previous
postings that used SUBTOTAL(), I thought perhaps that was it. I guess
not.

PS: I eventually solved the problem by using INDIRECT() as follows:

=sumproduct(row(indirect("a1:a"&90)))

Of course, my problem was not nearly that simple. That is just a
"reduction" of the problem to its bare minimum.

By the way, what I __really__ want is for SUMPRODUCT() to cycle
through the numbers 1,2,...,90, where "90" is an expression, not a
constant, in a form similar to:

=sumproduct(--(function(expression+1:90)=expression))

I use "row(A1:A90)" for "1:90". If there is a more "obvious" way to
do that, I am interested in the alternative.

Download Peter Noneley's workbook from this site.
http://www.xlfdic.com/

Thanks. I was hoping for something maintained by MS, preferrably
accessible by Excel Help (and preferrably local, not online). From
the two responses so far, I gather than none such thing exists :-(.