Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open external book before updating links?

I have a workbook that has thousands of links to another workbook
probelm is, they all use "IDIRECT(BLAH)" formula's and are very slow a
updating. All the links point at the same external workbook.

I want to make an opening macro that will open up the external boo
first befire trying to update any links. I tried making calculation
manual first and then open the external book but this didnt work.

The only way I have suceeded is to have an 3rd book which opens up th
external book then the workbook with the links.

Can anyone think of a better way

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

the easiest solution to this is perhaps to buy one of the newer versions of
Excel which has greater control on this area but that may not work for
you...

Someone at work also wanted a solution to this - the best workaround I came
up with was some code to ensure the workbook displayed the sheet with a
warning message telling the user NOT to update links - I had to to do this
using the FileBeforesave event...

Let me know if you want more details - email me at as I
am not on the ng much at present

All the best

Tim

"ianripping " wrote in message
I have a workbook that has thousands of links to another workbook,
probelm is, they all use "IDIRECT(BLAH)" formula's and are very slow at
updating. All the links point at the same external workbook.

I want to make an opening macro that will open up the external book
first befire trying to update any links. I tried making calculations
manual first and then open the external book but this didnt work.

The only way I have suceeded is to have an 3rd book which opens up the
external book then the workbook with the links.

Can anyone think of a better way?

---
Message posted from
http://www.ExcelForum.com/