Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ChrisN

Default Problem with updating external links

We have a file that links to several spreadsheets in a different folder.
Each month we save the info into a new folder for that month. So instead of
looking to February 28, 2006 it is looking to March 31, 2006 Prelim.

When we try to do "update links" to change the source to the new file in the
new folder. It hangs up excel (just sits there for 20-30 minutes). The file
is somewhat large (3000 rows & 26 columns across) to link.

We have done this in the middle of March with no problems. It takes a
little bit to update, but does go through. We have tried restarting the
computer, in case it is a server connection issue, but after 14 times, we
have given up.

We resorted to highlighting a section of the file and doing a search &
replace to get it to the updated file name/location. This works, but again,
it is extremely slow. I only selected 15 rows & it took about 5 minutes to
update.

Is there anything that might be causing the slow processing. It is just
linking to a cell (no complicated formulas).

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Clivey_UK

Chris,
You could try a couple of things. Assuming the file you're linking to
is somewhere on the server (or another machine connected to the server)
and not on the lcoal machine, copy the linked file to the local machine
and link to it there to see if this speeds up the process. If it does,
you know it's the link to the external file that is the problem. If so,
some options are keeping a copy of the linked file on the local machine,
or speaking to IT support about links over the server.
Also try turning off Automatic Recalculation in
Tools/Options/Calculation. Changing the formulas will then not force a
recalc, although you will have to force it to do that (F9) at some
point.
Hope this helps a bit.
Clive

--