Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Saving frm XP pro to 97 problems!

I have a workbook that was created in Excel pro XP and when saving th
workbook i am saving down to Excel 97/5.0...the workbook works fine o
my machine but when i put it on to the network the user form doesnt ac
the way it should i.e putting the combox1 value in the activecell...th
code i have for this on user form is activecell.value=combox1.value an
has worked fine on my machine....is there something i need to kno
about saving dow? also on some occassions when saving on a excel 97 sr
it pops up an error which you can only get rid of by task manager an
close the program!

Any ideas?

Simo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Anyone any ideas?.............or do i have to create all the workbook
in excel 97 again? (hope not....its already taken me an age to get thi
far!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel 97, 2000, 2002, 2003 all use the same file format. You have used a
format that writes two copies of the file, so you have gained nothing by
doing that except make the file twice as big. There is no saving down to
xl97. You just save the file.

You need to save the file normally, then troubleshoot it on the machine with
xl97. On thing to do is on the xl97 machine, go into tools=references in
the VBE and make sure you don't have any references marked as MISSING. If
so, you need to uncheck these references.

In the future you should do all your development on a machine using the
oldest copy of Excel that will need to use the application.

Tom Ogilvy

"Simon Lloyd " wrote in message
Anyone any ideas?.............or do i have to create all the workbooks
in excel 97 again? (hope not....its already taken me an age to get this
far!)

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Cheers Tom...(again!)

I did save the files as Excel 97/5.0 thinking this was the way to go
on the other machines (97) i get a catastrophic error when saving th
files or i always get the " this workbook was created by a newe
version saving this may lose some of your data........" will i alway
get this, and can i turn it off?

Simon

P.S i am using a stand alone machine saving on disk then transfering t
the networked machines, because im doing it mostly at home

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

While the file format is the same, obviously, the new versions offer
additional features. Excel 97 ignores these features. If you do a normal
save, you may get this message, but I wouldn't worry about it. You
shouldn't be using features that are not supported by the lowest machine
that will need to use the application.

No reason you can't install xl97 on your home machine. You can have
multiple versions of Excel installed. It is recommended that you install
them in chronological order, so you would need to uninstall office XP, then
install Office 97, Office 2000, Office XP and so forth (you can skip
versions).

As far as your current problems. I would go to Excel 97 and export all you
modules and userforms, copy all your sheets (as a group) to a new file
created in Excel 97, then import the modules and userforms. then save the
new file.

Make sure all is working well. Correct any deficiencies.

Tom Ogilvy

"Simon Lloyd " wrote in message
Cheers Tom...(again!)

I did save the files as Excel 97/5.0 thinking this was the way to go,
on the other machines (97) i get a catastrophic error when saving the
files or i always get the " this workbook was created by a newer
version saving this may lose some of your data........" will i always
get this, and can i turn it off?

Simon

P.S i am using a stand alone machine saving on disk then transfering to
the networked machines, because im doing it mostly at home!

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Tom,

Will try that tomorrow!....wish me luck!

Simo