Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Adding Descriptions to Function Parameters

When creating a VBA function for Excel, I would like to add description
for both the function and for the parameters. Any other function I'v
used shows, when you insert it as a formula into your spreadsheet,
description of the function and descriptions for each of the function'
parameters as you are entering data into the "inserting function
form.

How do I add descriptions to the function and function's parameters fo
display when a user inserts my function as a formula into thei
spreadsheet?

Thanks.

Scot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

function description is easy:
in object browser rightclick the function and type
the description in the function properties.

argument description is not possible unless you use
laurent longre's addin: morefunc.xll
http://longre.free.fr/english/

keepITcool

Scott Green wrote:

When creating a VBA function for Excel, I would like to add descriptions
for both the function and for the parameters. Any other function I've
used shows, when you insert it as a formula into your spreadsheet, a
description of the function and descriptions for each of the function's
parameters as you are entering data into the "inserting function"
form.

How do I add descriptions to the function and function's parameters for
display when a user inserts my function as a formula into their
spreadsheet?

Thanks.

Scott

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to add:
Actually the name of the XLL is
FUNCUSTOMIZE.DLL

Morefunc.xll is also on that page, but it doesn't do the parameter
information.

Tom Ogilvy

Scott Green wrote:

When creating a VBA function for Excel, I would like to add descriptions
for both the function and for the parameters. Any other function I've
used shows, when you insert it as a formula into your spreadsheet, a
description of the function and descriptions for each of the function's
parameters as you are entering data into the "inserting function"
form.

How do I add descriptions to the function and function's parameters for
display when a user inserts my function as a formula into their
spreadsheet?

Thanks.

Scott

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oh, this is UGLY The function desciption is just right, bu
the argument descriptions method is too awkward.

It's suboptimal, but I guess if it's my only option... I don't want t
distribute an additional DLL in the mix - just a single XLA, but now
have to wrap it all up in an installation utility.

Thanks for the advice.

If you (or anyone else reading this) knows of a more clean way o
adding descriptions to function arguments, please let me know.

Thanks and best regards.

Scot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No, (scratch butt), there really isn't another way (pick nose), that I am
aware of (sneeze all over self).

Tom Ogilvy

"Scott Green " wrote in message
Oh, this is UGLY The function desciption is just right, but
the argument descriptions method is too awkward.

It's suboptimal, but I guess if it's my only option... I don't want to
distribute an additional DLL in the mix - just a single XLA, but now I
have to wrap it all up in an installation utility.

Thanks for the advice.

If you (or anyone else reading this) knows of a more clean way of
adding descriptions to function arguments, please let me know.

Thanks and best regards.

Scott

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming