Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default save as error message

Hi all,

I have a workbook that is to not be overwritten. It is basically
template to use for quoting. How do i avoid having the workboo
overwritten. Do i save as a template?? I would like possibly a promp
message before the user closes the book to ensure it isnt overwritten

IE: "Have you saved as a different name?"

How is this done??

Cheers all !!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 31 May 2004 22:11:39 -0500, gavmer
wrote:

Hi all,

I have a workbook that is to not be overwritten. It is basically a
template to use for quoting. How do i avoid having the workbook
overwritten. Do i save as a template??

Yes - that's what templates are for. Users do File - New... (and not
just Ctrl+N) and a dialog pops up asking them what they want. They
select a template, and a copy of the template is loaded. (Maybe not
exactly how it happens, but that's the essence.)

I would like possibly a prompt
message before the user closes the book to ensure it isnt overwritten

IE: "Have you saved as a different name?"

How is this done??

In the VBA editor, under "ThisWorkbook":
tmp = MsgBox("Have you saved as a different name?", vbYesNo)
If Not (vbYes = tmp) Then Cancel = True

auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
*****
No, you do not see. Pray you never will.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Several choices
1) is set the file READ-ONLY attribute to True in Explorer

2) trap the before -save event - see the earlier reply
which gives an example

Patrick Molloy
Microsoft Excel MVP

I have a workbook that is to not be overwritten. It is

basically a
template to use for quoting. How do i avoid having the

workbook
overwritten. Do i save as a template?? I would like

possibly a prompt
message before the user closes the book to ensure it

isnt overwritten

IE: "Have you saved as a different name?"

How is this done??

Cheers all !!!!!!

---

.