Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel help request

Good morning

I'm trying to obtain some help on what I'm hoping is a rather easy issue

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have Excel read the value in one column and depending what that value is only allow input in one of the next 2 columns (there will then be more columns after that that need full access to, but the 3 columns are what I'm concentrating on)

The value in "Column A" could be any number of different numbers. As a small example, I'll make a basic diagram of only these 3 columns

Code Credit Debi
06 xx.x
21 xx.x
34 xx.x
95 xx.x

The codes would obviously all be something I imagine I have to put into the scripting to make it know where to let the user make the corresponding input in either column 2 or 3

Any help to get started on a solution would be very much appreciated. As it is we have a LOT of people who still can't grasp that a certain code should be for Credit yet they put it in the Debit column (and vice versa). Worst of all they use the same code multiple times in their work and have the $$ amount in different columns in the same file!! ugh.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
sounds like 'Data - Validation' is what you're looking for. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

Mark wrote:
Good morning.

I'm trying to obtain some help on what I'm hoping is a rather easy
issue.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have Excel read the value in one
column and depending what that value is only allow input in one of
the next 2 columns (there will then be more columns after that that
need full access to, but the 3 columns are what I'm concentrating
on).

The value in "Column A" could be any number of different numbers. As
a small example, I'll make a basic diagram of only these 3 columns:

Code Credit Debit
06 xx.xx
21 xx.xx
34 xx.xx
95 xx.xx

The codes would obviously all be something I imagine I have to put
into the scripting to make it know where to let the user make the
corresponding input in either column 2 or 3.

Any help to get started on a solution would be very much appreciated.
As it is we have a LOT of people who still can't grasp that a certain
code should be for Credit yet they put it in the Debit column (and
vice versa). Worst of all they use the same code multiple times in
their work and have the $$ amount in different columns in the same
file!! ugh.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you, Frank and Tom

With help on the Excel Worksheet Function newsgroup I was able to get things accomplished.