Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Importing a large text file (65536)

Jayl,
Try changing

Do While Seek(FileNum) <= LOF(FileNum)
Do While Not EOF(FileNum)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Jayl" wrote in message
Using the following code to import a text file greater than the

Excel limit and it seems to work fine except for the but at the
end of the import I get a run time error 62 - Input past end of
file. I click Debug and all is fine. How can I get rid of that
error message?

Sub LargeFileImport()

Dim ResultStr As String
Dim FileName As String
Dim FileNum As Integer
Dim Counter As Double
'Ask User for File's Name
FileName = Application.GetOpenFilename
'Check for no entry
If FileName = "" Then End
'Get Next Available File Handle Number
FileNum = FreeFile()
'Open Text File For Input
Open FileName For Input As #FileNum
'Turn Screen Updating Off
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
'Create A New WorkBook With One Worksheet In It
Workbooks.Add Template:=xlWorksheet
'Set The Counter to 1
Counter = 1
'Loop Until the End Of File Is Reached
Do While Seek(FileNum) <= LOF(FileNum)
'Display Importing Row Number On Status Bar
Application.StatusBar = "Importing Row " & Counter & " of text

file " & FileName
'Store One Line Of Text From File To Variable
Line Input #FileNum, ResultStr
'Store Variable Data Into Active Cell
If Left(ResultStr, 1) = "=" Then
ActiveCell.Value = "'" & ResultStr
Else
ActiveCell.Value = ResultStr
End If
If ActiveCell.Row = 65536 Then
'If On The Last Row Then Add A New Sheet
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Add
Else
'If Not The Last Row Then Go One Cell Down
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
End If
'Increment the Counter By 1
Counter = Counter + 1
'Start Again At Top Of 'Do While' Statement
Loop
'Close The Open Text File
Close
'Remove Message From Status Bar