Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hyperlink

Hello,

I have a question that my customer is having an issues with.

On thier W2K/OXP workstations whenever they insert a hyperlink to a word
document, the link opens up the root directory of where the document is
located in Explorer. I used the same document on my workstation, (latest SP,
etc...) and works fine. Are there any settings that would cause this or any
services packs ( I should install these regardless.)

TIA,

Steve Wofford
www.IntraRELY.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve,

First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue.
From your description, I understand that the behavior on your customers'
machine when you insert hyperlink into the word document, the insert
hyperlink dialog will be open and the current directory will be where the
word document is located in. (Word 2002)
Have I fully understood you? If there is anything I misunderstood, please
feel free to let me know.

It seems this is the default behavior of Word 2002, and it behaves same on
my machine.(windows 2000+office xp)
And I tested on windows xp + word 2003, the behavior is the same.

So what is the behavior on your machine and what is your expected behavior?

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Peter,

I am trying to link a Word 2002 document from Excel worksheet.

I type a name like "TEST" in a cell. I then right click the cell and link to
a Word doc, or anything for that matter. I click on the link and it launches
the file, in what ever application it is from, in this case Word.

I am running O2002 SP-2. What service pack do you have. I just tried on a
machine running O2003 and worked as noted above.

TIA,

Steve

""Peter Huang"" wrote in message
Hi Steve,

First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue.
From your description, I understand that the behavior on your customers'
machine when you insert hyperlink into the word document, the insert
hyperlink dialog will be open and the current directory will be where the
word document is located in. (Word 2002)
Have I fully understood you? If there is anything I misunderstood, please
feel free to let me know.

It seems this is the default behavior of Word 2002, and it behaves same on
my machine.(windows 2000+office xp)
And I tested on windows xp + word 2003, the behavior is the same.

So what is the behavior on your machine and what is your expected

behavior?

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

rights.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

I test on the Excel 2002 + SP3, the behavior is same with what you have
done in office 2003.(I have also tested on office 2003, the result is
continuously the same.)
You may download the service pack at the link below.

Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...bfd-6f69-4289-
8bd1-eb966bcdfb5e&displaylang=en

So as I understanding, the behavior on your machine with office xp is as
below.
1. create a new excel file and in one cell(e.g.A1) input "Test"
2. Press Control+K to open Insert Hyperlink dialog and navigate the file
you wants to refer to (e.g. C:\test.doc)
3. Move mouse on the A1 cell, the mouse cursor will be a hand and then left
Click on the hyperlink, the word document did not opened.(On my
machine,this will open the word document.

Am I right?
If no, please describe more detailed. Also you may try on another office xp
machine to see if this problem persists.

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Peter, You descripted how it functions on my machine, now I need to
why it doesnt do this on my clients. When they click the link after it is
created, it opens Explorer (NOT A DIALOG BOX) to the directory where the
document is located. I believe thier OfficeXP is at level 0. Can you test on
a machine that doesnt have an SP or even maybe SP1?

Thanks again,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve,

Firstly I wants to make clarification, as I said in my last post, the
Insert HyperLink will be opened in the 2nd step when building the
hyperlink. And in the third step, we will click the link, and in a normal
machine, this will open the word document the hyperlink refer to(e.g.
C:\test.doc) , but in your client machine, this will open the explorer(I
mean the windows explorer, not the internet explorer) and navigate the C:\.

I also have tried on a windows2000+office xp without any service
pack(version 10.2614.2625) is the same as we do on the windows2k+office xp
or on the windows xp + office 2003, clicking the link will invoke the word
application to open the word document.

So it seems the problem is specified to the machine not the office xp
version.
As a test, you may try the steps below.
1. Run the path in the Run Dialog directly,
Click Start/Run...
Input C:\test.doc and press Enter, will this open the word document?

2. Create a new wordbook and save it as C:\test.xls
Copy a doc file in the c:\.e.g. test.doc
Build a hyperlink to the test.doc.(Not use c:\test.doc)
save the xls file
click the link, will this open the word document?

You may have a try and let me know the result.
If the first step is yes, and the second step is no. I think we's better
re-install the office software suite.