Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Message box display or something in the status area after macro button is pressed?

Is there as message box type of thing in Excel? i.e., if user has
clicked a button which has a macro assigned to it, is there a message
box that we can have open for x number of seconds or milliseconds that
tells the user what the macro is doing or what it has done? I'm
guessing maybe even a message in the status area at bottom of the
worksheet would be good (?).

i.e., so that when they click on first button it'll say ... "Sorted by
Contact Name", when 2nd button is pressed, it'll then say: "Sorted by
Company Name", etc.?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
in the VBA help have a look nat
msgbox

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

StargateFan wrote:
Is there as message box type of thing in Excel? i.e., if user has
clicked a button which has a macro assigned to it, is there a message
box that we can have open for x number of seconds or milliseconds

that
tells the user what the macro is doing or what it has done? I'm
guessing maybe even a message in the status area at bottom of the
worksheet would be good (?).

i.e., so that when they click on first button it'll say ... "Sorted

by
Contact Name", when 2nd button is pressed, it'll then say: "Sorted

by
Company Name", etc.?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sun, 16 May 2004 13:44:46 -0500, "Don Guillett"
wrote:

try
application.statusbar="Your message here"
application.statusbar="" 'to clear the message

Absolutely beautiful!

Of course, the message just blinks on then off for 2 of the buttons as
they complete a sort as governed by each macro assigned to the given
button, but the third button is the important one, anyway. It's the
one that sorts the worksheet before a print which puts it in the right
order.

Well, thank you EVERYONE for all your help over last couple of days.
This has revolutionized how I will now use Excel and make my life
simpler. For most data tracking, my preference is to do up a db. But
I've been in jobs where this just isn't possible and they've
specifically requested a spreadsheet instead. This will allow me to
bring in some time-saving db-like functionality to a spreadsheet so
that I can comply with instructions yet give them the maximum out of
it! That's a win-win situation for me!

Thanks once again!

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
Is there as message box type of thing in Excel? i.e., if user has
clicked a button which has a macro assigned to it, is there a message
box that we can have open for x number of seconds or milliseconds that
tells the user what the macro is doing or what it has done? I'm
guessing maybe even a message in the status area at bottom of the
worksheet would be good (?).

i.e., so that when they click on first button it'll say ... "Sorted by
Contact Name", when 2nd button is pressed, it'll then say: "Sorted by
Company Name", etc.?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you want a timed MsgBox

Dim cTime As Long
Dim WSH As Object

Set WSH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
cTime = 30 ' 30 secs
Select Case WSH.Popup("Don't do it!", cTime, "Hint", vbOKCancel)
Case vbOK
MsgBox "You clicked OK"
Case vbCancel
MsgBox "You clicked Cancel"
Case -1
MsgBox "Timed out"
Case Else
End Select

As you can see, it can be OK, Cancel or timed out.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips