Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Assigning a macro to a worksheet (vs personal.xls)

Is there a way to assign a worksheet to a button _within_
an Excel spreadsheet?

The reason I ask is because I know how to deal with those
types of macros. I carry around on a floppy all my
toolbars and templates and the personal.xls file and know
where to "install" these in the contracts I go to.

I'd like to create a db type of spreadsheet for the
contract I'm in now (they don't want me to 'waste' time on
creating a db in Access. Since the data being tracked is
simple enough for this job IF I could "automate" it with 2
macros (so that it would simulate a very simple db
solution), this is do-able if I can assign a macro somehow
to the spreadsheet itself so that whoever accesses the
file can use it. That would not be the case if the macro
were to be saved externally from the file itself.

I've seen complexe games done in Excel so I know it's
pretty powerful. Just hoping it's powerful in this way!
<g

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm lost <lol!!

I was doing so well, too!! I created the macro I needed.
I created the button and that seemed fine. I set it so
that it won't move with cells, etc., but what I can't find
is how to assign the macro.

I chose the "Command Button" option from the "Control
Toolbox". I don't know if this was the right button as
this wasn't specified but it seemed the best one. But
maybe that's what's wrong (?).

When I right-click, there is no "Assign Macro" option.
If I double-click the Command Button I go into the VB
editor (or what looks like that to me) but I can't seem to
figure out how to assign the previously saved macro to
this button?

[A question re the button, can we put an icon on the
button like we do the ones on the toolbar? I like to
create my own, etc.]

Lastly, I never figured out what you meant by "drag to the
toolbar". The button stays within the rulers of the Excel
spreadsheet and refuses to go "outside" of that area onto
any toolbar.

Again, I think I'm doing something wrong!

Thanks for all this so far, though, Jason! I've learned a
lot.

Cheers!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bridget wrote

I chose the "Command Button" option from the "Control
Toolbox". I don't know if this was the right button as
this wasn't specified but it seemed the best one. But
maybe that's what's wrong (?).

Use one from the Forms toolbar instead. That one has the right-click|Assign
Macro option as opposed to one from the Controls toolbar (it uses
button_click code).

--
David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:13:16 -0700, David
wrote:

Bridget wrote

I chose the "Command Button" option from the "Control
Toolbox". I don't know if this was the right button as
this wasn't specified but it seemed the best one. But
maybe that's what's wrong (?).

Use one from the Forms toolbar instead. That one has the right-click|Assign
Macro option as opposed to one from the Controls toolbar (it uses
button_click code).

OMG, that is just so utterly incredible! And it took a mere moments
to do! It's amazing how all the functions/features resemble db
creation! I was able to use the same ideas and techniques! I could
even put an icon on the button just like I would in Filemaker!
Totally awesome!

I also saved the macros to the worksheet itself. I'd never done that
before. I usu. make global ones to the personal.xls file so never
really noticed that you could save to a sheet itself! This makes it
ideal!

There is just one last thing which I hope to do before calling this
quits: I'm just no good at VB. I can't get a handle on it (though
I'm good at following clear instructions <lol!). Is there a way to
put in an "open print dialogue box" command as a last thing to do for
a print command macro? And, if so, is it hard to code?

This way, the print button will do the sort necessary before printing
but then will open the print dialogue box for the user. <fingers
crossed I hope there's an easy way to do this. I was doing that
sort of thing in WordPerfect as long ago as 1998 (if not in earlier
versions) so hoping that I can do that in the macro language of Excel.

If that is possible, then every time I get sent to a contract and they
want me to track data yet won't allow me to create a db and absolutely
want me to use Excel (THEY DO do that to me!!), then I can get around
spreadsheet limitations by creating macros that users can access via
buttons!! And sorting and doing certain things before printing seem
to be one of the most common things one needs to do.

This is exciting!!

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If all you want to do is display the Print dialog, use the
following line of code:

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogPrint).Show

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"StargateFan" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:13:16 -0700, David

Bridget wrote