Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Athletics Ranking Spreadsheet

Hi Guys'n'Gals,

The PE department in my school have asked me to come up with a spreadsheet
which can show who (or which team) is leading a competition.

Therefore, I have allowed for 8 columns to show events and 10 rows for the
teams (in the development version). In the 9th column I have included an
=sum formula to add up the total score for each event. For example in Row
B - Team C could have scores of 10 8 4 0 2 4 3 2 - in column 9 the score
would reflect as 33.

That is the easy bit. What they then would like to see is a tenth column
which dependant on the scores in column 9 can say whether or not a team is
ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. When scores are added they would like to see
this 10th colum changing dynamically to show new leaders etc.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I would go about doing this? I don't want to
sort them every time, which I had thought of doing - they want it so that
they do not have to do anything.

Your advice is appreciated,

Best wishes

Gareth Edmondson

--
All of the moments that already passed
We'll try to go back and make them last

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gareth,

Put in the formula into J1 and fill down:
=RANK(I1,I:I,0)

This formula compares the referenced cell to all the values and returns its
rank.
(With 1 being the highest)

(this presupposes that you start in row 1, change it to I2, or I3 or what
ever row you start in)

--
steveb
(Remove 'NOSPAM' from email address if replying direct)

"Gareth Edmondson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve,

Excellent. Thank you very much for the help. The PE department will be
delighted once I format the spreadsheet into something they can use.

Best wishes

Gareth Edmondson

ranking liem Excel Worksheet Functions 1 May 28th 10 08:39 PM
top ten ranking liem Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 March 25th 10 01:12 AM
Ranking??? Cinny New Users to Excel 2 September 2nd 08 03:21 AM
Ranking Fuzzy Excel Worksheet Functions 2 July 13th 08 10:39 AM
Ranking Excelicious Excel Worksheet Functions 4 April 3rd 08 06:58 PM