Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

Default VBA Documentation

Hello All,

I have installed Office 97 Professional with all the help files
(at least all that I could find during installation). I can't seem to find
any documentation on the Built-In Dialogs supplied with VBA in Excel. I am
looking for a complete documentation of the xlDialogOpen member of the
collection. I found the "Built-In Dialog Box Argument List", but a list of
the arugments is rather useless without some explaination of what each one
is for and what values are expected. When I lookup xlDialogOpen in the
object browser I simply get "No Help Available". I spent all of yesterday
trying to find some documentation without luck and I am simply astounded
that it is not more widely available. Any help for a frustated programmer
teaching himself VBA would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
TJ Walls
Ph.D. Candidate
Stony Brook University

P.S. I would like to give a sincere thanks to Tom Ogilvy whose many posts
to this newgroup has greatly helped this VBA newbie.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

Look up Built-In Dialog Box Argument Lists in help. Best I can do.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"TJ Walls" wrote in message
pam.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

Hi TJ

Try them and you see that you recognize most of them
Search the newsgroups in Google for threads about the one you want to use

Search news groups with Google
http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...=group:*Excel*

Or use My Add-in
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the tip. Restricting my Google Groups searches to Excel
newsgroups will be a great time saver. This filter actually let me sort
the haystack for a post detailing the argument list. I am not used to the
Microsoft programming culture however (I was nursed on Linux growing up)
and would be interested in some MVP guys thoughts on why this information
is not provided directly from Microsoft but rather from a Usenet user who
got it from somewhere or had to figure it out on his own.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:16:01 +0200, Ron de Bruin wrote:

Hi TJ

Try them and you see that you recognize most of them Search the
newsgroups in Google for threads about the one you want to use

Search news groups with Google
http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...=group:*Excel*

Or use My Add-in
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

If you had 5 rooms full of densely packed manuals would try
to read them all.

If you can't understand the wording used in a reference manual
that has no examples would you be able to figure it out if you'd
never seen anything like it.

Anyway whether you have good documentation or bad
documentation, good sites or bad sites, good search
engines or bad search engines, you'll never (not always) find what
you are looking for right away, even if you thought you knew the
answer..

You can have the best documented procedures in the world but if you
can't find what you are looking for it's still lost.
---
HTH,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba

TJ

Be sure to check out GetOpenFilename in help. It may provide you with a
better way to do whatever it is you're trying to do.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel