Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Strange borders

G'day there One and All,

I'll preface this post by stating that I've worked around the
problem I'm about to describe, but I'm still wondering about the
mechanics of the situation. Here's what happened:

I have a list on a worksheet. The list starts down a few rows.

The top row has been expanded to accomodate a number of onsheet
controls (buttons & a listbox) there are no problems with this row. I
use columns A to N to fit everything across the window.

Row "2" has columns E - K merged and displays the result of a
lookup formula in text format (a sentence describing an object, combined
from several fields).

Row "3" has columns A - K as field headings for my list. This page
is intended only for client review of information, and so has been made
a little more user friendly than the list management sheet. Hence
headings are long and friendlier for non 'pooter literate users, so I've
angled them upwards to the right at 45 degrees. They overlap each other,
and the row has been heightened to fit all the text in, but it looks
fine.

Here's the interesting part...

The merged cells are atop the angled text. I selected the merged
(now single) cell and from in the format cells box outlined the single
merged cell with a border. The top & 2 sides are OK, however the bottom
border starts not at column 'E', but at 'F'!! It extends into the next
cell past the merged cell - 'L'. The lower border seems to be starting
in line with the text from underneath it. I assume from this situation,
that borders are related to the text in the cell underneath the border's
location??!!!

Is this how it's supposed to work? Does anyone understand the
mechanics of the border process?

See ya,
Ken McLennan
Brisbane, Australia.