Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Question about Formulas

I'm working on a project and was wondering if I could get some help. I
don't have a lot of experience working with formulas in Excel but I
hope they provide a solution to what I'm looking to do.

I'm trying to create user accounts using a script I have, but I need
some help on the Excel side of things.

Problem #1:

Column A has first names and column B has last names. I'm looking for
a formula which would combine the two in a certain way.

For example, I need column C to build a username using the first and
last name in each row. 'Bill Smith' would become 'Smith_B' in column
C. Using one letter from the first name column and an underscore is
important. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Problem #2:

This one is probably much easier. In column A I have a series of
numbers for each user that's 9 digits long. I need to trim it down to
the last 4 digits in each row. For example, 543672891 would be 2891 in
the same column.

I do appreciate any help someone has to offer.

Thank you,

Jeff, Cincinnati OH
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

G'day Jeff from Australia,

Both these problem need you to call on the CHARACTER functions i
excel. These are workbook functions not macros or VBA

For example to get the first letter of Col B and underscore and th
Surname to appear in column C

Presuming you are on row 2, you would use this formula in cell C2

=B2&"_"&LEFT(A2,1)

The second problem is easier. You need only capture the last
characters on the right of your referenced cell.

Try this; Assuming the number 543672891 is in cell D2

=RIGHT(D2,4)
The 4 indicates how many digits from the right you want to read.

Pauly