patrick

Default nOOb formulas question

Ok can you walk me through this I am very new to this.
I have sheet 1. I have a starting balance on cell H1.
Also on that sheet I have a Total on cell D3.
Sheet 2 Column E will be my Recieved and Column G will be my paid.
I dont know what the sum column is for.
I need to have any number entries on Column E sheet 2 added to D3 sheet 1,
and subtract from H1 sheet 1.
Example: I have starting balance of $1000 in H1. And a Total on D3 of $500.
I add $20 to any cell in Column E. We will say E2. Now H1 equals $980, E2
equals $20, and D3 equals $520.

I barely know where to start so please be patient and make your explanations
detailed Thank you so much.

"Arvi Laanemets" wrote:

Hi

It is possible with worksheets change event. But I myself consider this as
very bad idea - when you enter some wrong number, it will be practically
impossible to track down the error later.

Instead I advice to use the design, where all transactions are gathered into
single table, and running total is calculated from this table. As bonus, you
can design reort sheets, where p.e. all transactions for selected period,
along with totals for period start and end dates, are displayed.

An example of transaction table:
Sheet: Transactions
Date, Operation, Sum, Comment

The column Operation contains validation list with 2 selections: "payd" and
"recieved";
Sum is always positive.

At start you enter the start value for your account (as "recieved"). In
Comment field you can enter some explanation, so you don't get confused
later.
The table will be simplest to calculate, when you never don't have any
transactions earlier than start transaction, and you have only one start
transaction at any time.

You define dynamic named ranges (p.e. Date, Operation and Sum) for tables
datarange, using Date column as check range (so that all 3 named ranges are
always of same dimension)

The total will be:
=SUMIF(Operation,"recieved",Sum)-SUMIF(Operation,"payd",Sum)

When the number of rows in table grows, and you want to remove some elder
transactions, then you have to calculate the total for date, which will be
new start date (date0), enter the new start value, and delete all rows with
dates earlier as new start date (you can write a procedure for this).

The worksheet formula to calculate total for some fixed date (FixedDate) is:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Date<FixedDate),--(Operation="recieved"),Sum)-SUMPRODUCT(--(D
ate<FixedDate),--(Operation="payd"),Sum)

Arvi Laanemets

"Patrick" wrote in message
I am creating a spreadsheet for my acount payables and recievables. I want

designate a cell to keep a total.
I need one cell whenever I add a figure it add to the total and another

cell
whenever I subtract a figure it will subtract from that same cell.

JulieD

Hi Patrick

what concerns me about your question is where the 1000 is coming from in H1
and the 500 in D3 ... however, assuming that you want to hard-code these
into the formula in the cell then the formulas to use in Sheet1!H1 is
=1000-SUM(Sheet2!E:E)

and the formula to use in Sheet1!D3 is
=500+SUM(Sheet2!E:E)

Cheers