Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Question about what the Find function returns if the item wasn't found

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I've been reading the forums for a whil
though. I find them helpful from time to time. I'm trying to teac
myself how to code VBA for Excel.

Anyway, I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is search a column for a value an
return the row number where the value is stored. But if the value wa
not found I want to throw up a msgbox saying that the value wasn'
found.

Here is a code sample:

iRow = Columns("A").Find(sName).Row

if (condition where the value was not found) then
msxbox ("Name: '" & sName "' was not found.")
end if

What I need to know is the condition that will make the if statemen
true. I've tried using things like IsNull(iRow) but that did not work
Does the find function return a special value if it is unsuccessfu
and if so, what is it? If not, any suggestions on how to handle this?
I've been looking everywhere for the answer to this but it seems lik
simple stuff like this is the hardest stuff to find.

Thanks