Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default [question] about consolidations...

dear all,
i heard that we can use excel to do consolidations, when a company buys
another company....

how to do it, plz?
thanx..

and, is there any books/ web sites recommand to learn more about advanced
use of excel?
thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only built in consolidation functionality is to sum data from several
workbooks. I doubt that is what you are looking for. It is found under the
data menu. (consolidate . . . )

If you heard of the merge function, that just makes two cells appear to be
one big cell.

Tom Ogilvy

"kevin chan" wrote in message
u...
dear all,
i heard that we can use excel to do consolidations, when a company buys
another company....

how to do it, plz?
thanx..

and, is there any books/ web sites recommand to learn more about advanced
use of excel?
thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

actually, i m not exactly sure what kind of functions are available in
Excel to do consolidations. i.e. do journal entries, record every
consolidated details into one... etc...

The only built in consolidation functionality is to sum data from

several
workbooks. I doubt that is what you are looking for. It is found under

the
data menu. (consolidate . . . )

So, do u mean that the only function i can use (related to consolidation)
is 'data' then 'consolidate'? And, there's no other functions (for use in
consolidate)?
thanx.

"Tom Ogilvy" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D

"kevin chan" wrote in message
u...
dear all,
i heard that we can use excel to do consolidations, when a company

buys
another company....

how to do it, plz?
thanx..

and, is there any books/ web sites recommand to learn more about

use of excel?
thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are plenty of functions to work with numbers and text stored in cells.
Why the numbers are there and how they should be manipulated are a function
of the designer of the particular spreadsheet. There may be existing
"templates" with some of the functionality you describe, where someone has
gone in an designed a spreadsheet to support that function. An example is
the Invoice template distributed with Excel, but designed by Village
Software.

for some free ones, go to the office web site

http://office.microsoft.com/home/default.aspx

choose templates from the left side selection options.

or search Google for Excel and Consolidation or Excel and the specific
management/administrative topic you want to perform.

Tom Ogilvy

u...