Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Format bases on IF Statement

Hello,
I created a subtotal using excel's Subtotal option.
Example,
DIV NAME2 NAME3 NAME4 QTY Ext
TEST1 JX JY JQ 42 52
TEST1 Total 42 52
TEST2 JX JY JQ 54 60
TEST2 Total 54 60

So I want to format Col A,B,C and D only if Row equals
TEST1 Total.
So something like thits
If A:A="TEST Total" Or "TEST2 Total" Then format Col A,B,C
D only for that row. Etc....

Hope this makes sense,
Please advise any info, would appreciate it alot.
Juan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
try the following
- select your range (e.g. A1:D100)
- goto 'Format - Conditional Format'
- enter the formula
=ISNUMBER(FIND("Total",$A1))
- choose your format

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

JUAN wrote:
Hello,
I created a subtotal using excel's Subtotal option.
Example,
DIV NAME2 NAME3 NAME4 QTY Ext
TEST1 JX JY JQ 42 52
TEST1 Total 42 52
TEST2 JX JY JQ 54 60
TEST2 Total 54 60

So I want to format Col A,B,C and D only if Row equals
TEST1 Total.
So something like thits
If A:A="TEST Total" Or "TEST2 Total" Then format Col A,B,C
D only for that row. Etc....

Hope this makes sense,
Please advise any info, would appreciate it alot.
Juan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello,
Frank, thanks this seems to be perfect, but now how would
I format those that have empty value, the cell is blank.
As i provided example,

TEST2 JX JY JQ 54 60
TEST1 Total 42 52

I'm able to format Col A,E AND F using your advise,
but I need to format B,C, and D. Those are blank. So not
sure if there's a way to format this.
I'll continue playing around see if I can figure, but
please advise.
thank you,
juan

I created a subtotal using excel's Subtotal option.
Example,
DIV NAME2 NAME3 NAME4 QTY Ext
TEST1 JX JY JQ 42 52
TEST1 Total 42 52
TEST2 JX JY JQ 54 60
TEST2 Total 54 60

So I want to format Col A,B,C and D only if Row equals
TEST1 Total.
So something like thits
If A:A="TEST Total" Or "TEST2 Total" Then format Col

A,B,C
D only for that row. Etc....

Hope this makes sense,
Please advise any info, would appreciate it alot.
Juan

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
You can format them in the same way (if you choose a specific
background color).
Just select the entire range (as shown in my previous post) and enter
the formula as shown

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

JUAN wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Frank,
your previous formula says if ISNUMBER, but those three
things are blank. I can't seem to get this to work.

please advise.

sorry about this,
thanks,

juan

JUAN wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
but if I unerstood you you only check column A for the word 'Total'.
Therefore I used a mixed aboslute reference like
$A1
that is always checking column A. But maybe I'm missing something here.
You may repost with an example row of data and state your expected
result for all columns :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

JUAN wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Apply this conditional formatting to cell A1
Formula is =RIGHT($A1,6)=" Total"
Font = Red (or whatever format you wanted)

Then copy A1
Select all cells
paste special: formats