Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Any way to update links tru VBA code?

I have 2 workbooks in my company network (a password needs to be entere
to open them). Each workbook has several sheets, the first sheet o
each workbook is a summary sheet.

I have a third workbook in the network which is just the summary sheet
of the forementioned workbooks.

This is where my question is raised...
When I open the 3rd workbook I'm prompted with a message about wantin
to update. If I select "Update" I am presented with an passwor
inputbox. (I'm sure ALL of you have seen this)

Now... if there any way to take care of the password inputbox so th
password is entered automatically for the user... It is the sam
password for the 1st 2 workbooks.

I am a little cautious about giving them the password, they might ge
wise and find the first 2 workbooks over the network and well... let'
just say they're not so trust worthy. :)

Can any1 help?

- Larry -
VBA Amateu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming an excel verion prior to xl2003:
The update of links occurs before any code is run. So in your current
situation, I don't believe you can avoid the password prompt.

What you might do is use 4 workbooks. Have the users work with a 4th
workbook that has links to your current workbook with just the summary
sheets. Since this is not password protected, you shouldn't get a password
prompt. However, you won't get the lastest data. In the 4th workbook, you
could have a workbook_open macro that opens the three other workbooks (with
screenupdating set to false - funishing the password), then close them and
turn screenupdating back on. This should update all the links with the
latest data.

Tom Ogilvy

"nrage21 " wrote in message
I have 2 workbooks in my company network (a password needs to be entered
to open them). Each workbook has several sheets, the first sheet of
each workbook is a summary sheet.

I have a third workbook in the network which is just the summary sheets
of the forementioned workbooks.

This is where my question is raised...
When I open the 3rd workbook I'm prompted with a message about wanting
to update. If I select "Update" I am presented with an password
inputbox. (I'm sure ALL of you have seen this)

Now... if there any way to take care of the password inputbox so the
password is entered automatically for the user... It is the same
password for the 1st 2 workbooks.

I am a little cautious about giving them the password, they might get
wise and find the first 2 workbooks over the network and well... let's
just say they're not so trust worthy. :)

Can any1 help?

- Larry -
VBA Amateur

---