Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Please Help With Function

Hello,

I have a problem. I have a series of cells which display calculate
averages. When the calculations are done, the value is displayed i
those cells. What I want to do is be able to hide the function when
highlight the cell. Now, when I select the result cell, the function i
displayed in the text box at the top of the screen. How do I make is s
that the text box will display the result and not the formula, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don't think you can - You can hide the formula so that nothing appears in the
formula bar, but I don't think you can have just the result show. To hide the
formula, you need to format the cell's protection property as hidden and then
protect the sheet, eg

Format / cells / Protection / Tick Hidden - Now on the sheet do Tools /
Protection / Protect sheet

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03

"dgmorr " wrote in message
Hello,

I have a problem. I have a series of cells which display calculated
averages. When the calculations are done, the value is displayed in
those cells. What I want to do is be able to hide the function when I
highlight the cell. Now, when I select the result cell, the function is
displayed in the text box at the top of the screen. How do I make is so
that the text box will display the result and not the formula, thanks.

---

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Menu Format Cells Protection, check Locked and Hidden. Now protect the sheet with menu
Tools Protection Protect worksheet.

You won't be able to enter anything anywhere now -unless you in forehand has unchecked
Locken in the entry cells, same Format menu, before protecting. So do that too.

--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Followup to newsgroup only please.

"dgmorr " wrote in message
Hello,

I have a problem. I have a series of cells which display calculated
averages. When the calculations are done, the value is displayed in
those cells. What I want to do is be able to hide the function when I
highlight the cell. Now, when I select the result cell, the function is
displayed in the text box at the top of the screen. How do I make is so
that the text box will display the result and not the formula, thanks.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if you select the cell, do format=Cell, select the protection tab and
select hidden and locked, then protect the worksheet, the formula will not
appear in the formula bar when the cell is selected.

Tom Ogilvy

"dgmorr " wrote in message
Hello,

I have a problem. I have a series of cells which display calculated
averages. When the calculations are done, the value is displayed in
those cells. What I want to do is be able to hide the function when I
highlight the cell. Now, when I select the result cell, the function is
displayed in the text box at the top of the screen. How do I make is so
that the text box will display the result and not the formula, thanks.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am half way there. The problem now that I need solved is that I need
to run a macro while it is hidden. When I protect the sheet I cannot
run the macro because it is protected. Any way around this?

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I am doing is copying the result and using paste special to past
it back over. Is there a way I can use VB to Paste Special and past
those resultant values

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The reason I am trying to do this is to reduce the file size. Having al
that extra text from the function creates a much bigger file.

What I do is go to tools/macro/Run Macro. When I put the Protect Shee
mode on, the function will not run

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I do is go to tools/macro/Run Macro. When I put the Protect Sheet
mode on, the function will not run.

Ok, if you say so...

Best wishes Harald
Followup to newsgroup only please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub ReduceSize()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="ABCD"
' perform you actions
ActiveSheet.Protect Password = "ABCD"

Tom Ogilvy

The reason I am trying to do this is to reduce the file size. Having all