Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problems with XLA:s

When using xla:s I often get into strange problems with
updating the xla-code. The xla-module is stored on a
shared disk. Excel is set up so the module using the xla
has a reference to it. Everything works fine. I then add
4 lines of code to the xla. I start the Excel sheet using
the xla and step thru the code. The new code is stepped
over!!! And at times Excel just aborts. The xla is found
only on one place. The old module is present somewhere
and is the one that is used. What on earth is
happening???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I may need some back up on this one, but from my experience xla's reside
on your computer when you add them in. They go to a hidden file in the
following location (win2x xp) your usernamer\Application
Data\Microsoft\AddIns (if you can't find it do a search for a folder
called AddIns). Wherever the original file resides doesn't matter,
because xl copies a copy of the add-in to this folder. When you make
changes it can be tricky, you can quickly loose track as to which file
you changed.

The best way I have found to manage it is like this:

Make sure the Addin is not selected in ToolsAddins then open your
network file by double clicking then make your changes. Save and close
your file. Use ToolsAddins then browse to the network file then add
it, when prompted write over the old version.

Kind of a headache, but you need to be systematic

::h::

Ingvar wrote:

When using xla:s I often get into strange problems with
updating the xla-code. The xla-module is stored on a
shared disk. Excel is set up so the module using the xla
has a reference to it. Everything works fine. I then add
4 lines of code to the xla. I start the Excel sheet using
the xla and step thru the code. The new code is stepped
over!!! And at times Excel just aborts. The xla is found
only on one place. The old module is present somewhere
and is the one that is used. What on earth is
happening???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
Thanks for your answer. I have made really sure that the
xla is not added to my personal addins directory. A
search thru the whole computer reveals just the one on
the network drive. The odd thing is that when I step thru
the code I see my new code. Stepping one step at the time
shows that the new code is skipped. So both the new and
the old code is present in some way. I have tried to
remove the refernce and remove the addin then saving and
closing the sheet. I then open and reestablish the link
to the xla but the odd phenomena persist. The only way to
make it work is to create a completely new spreadsheet
from a template. That kind of destroys the whole idea of
an xla

Ingvar

Ingvar wrote:

When using xla:s I often get into strange problems

with
updating the xla-code. The xla-module is stored on a
shared disk. Excel is set up so the module using the

xla
has a reference to it. Everything works fine. I then

add
4 lines of code to the xla. I start the Excel sheet

using
the xla and step thru the code. The new code is

stepped
over!!! And at times Excel just aborts. The xla is

found
only on one place. The old module is present somewhere
and is the one that is used. What on earth is
happening???

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You may want to try Rob Bovey's code cleaner.

You can find it at:
http://www.appspro.com/

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Best piece of advice this year!!
Solved the problem. But I still wonder what kind
of "smartness" the MS crowd put in in order to achieve
this odd problem

Ingvar wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know, but Rob's program comes up often as a tool of last resort for
these unexplainable type problems!

He did very nice work.