Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default meaning of Dynamic?

Forgive me , i see the word dynamic alot in programs and
code..can anyone tell what it means in terms of coding or
vba language? Such as 'I set it up to dynamically
load....'

thanks...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dynamic and static are opposites. Static refers to something rigid an
unchanging, dynamic is something easily modified and even set up t
modify itself to be useful in a number of different circumstances.
It's a pretty widely used term that generally points to flexibility i
some way. - Piku

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In general, 'dynamic' means 'at run time' and 'static' means 'at
compile time'. For example, a dynamic array is sized at run time
depending on a variety of considerations, while a static array is
sized in the code. E.g.,

' dynamic array
Dim Arr() As Long
Redim Arr(1 To SomeRange.Cells.Count)

' static array
Dim Arr(1 To 10)

In the first example, the size of the array isn't determined
until the code executes. In the second example, the size of the
array is hard coded.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"mike" wrote in message
Forgive me , i see the word dynamic alot in programs and
code..can anyone tell what it means in terms of coding or
vba language? Such as 'I set it up to dynamically
load....'

thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

ahhhhh, yes. I understand now. makes sense. thank yu for
yur help. I like the dynamic. as for large files and many
variables. mike

"mike" wrote in message
Forgive me , i see the word dynamic alot in programs

and
code..can anyone tell what it means in terms of coding

or
vba language? Such as 'I set it up to dynamically
load....'

thanks...

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

instead of saying

Rowsource is Sheet1!A1:A10

you might use code to determine how much data is in column A

With Worksheets("sheet1")
set rng = .Range(.cells(1,1),.cells(1,1).End(xldown))
End With
Userform1.Listbox1.RowSource = rng.Address(external:=True)

in your case, it was assumed the plant rows would not necessarily be the
same for each sheet/area combination, but that there would be no empty rows.
So in one area, there might be 5 rows of choices and in another 10 rows of
choices. Also, the assumption was that the same list of plants would not be
provided for each area. (just like every sheet did not have 4 areas, so
presenting a choice of 4 would be inappropriate - present a list of what is
actually available).

This may not be the case. You may always provide 10 rows (although some
would be empty). In that case, the approach I provided would have problems.
That could be fixed, but I had to make my best guess.

Tom Ogilvy