Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Conditional ranking

I am having some problems with a workbook for entering scores for
archery competitions and giving the resultant medals. i can do the
individual medals by using command buttons and macros assigned to them
which filter and then order the people from highest to lowest in three
categories.

The problem is in calculating the team scores and medals, preferably
in a seperate worksheet, by taking the top four experienced and novice
scores for each team, adding them together and then tabulating them in
the correct order for each of the categories.

e.g.

Experienced
Team1 - 2305
team2 - 2286
Team3 - 2254 etc

I would quite like it if somone could direct me to a macro that could
do this via a command button in the results sheet, (i.e press button
and generate table on the sheet by collecting data in master
scoresheet). I was looking down the avenue of using RANK, but I am not
sure about this as whenever a button gets pressed to filter the
results to certain categories, the non-relevant cells merely become
hidden and i'm not sure RANK will work this way, and anyway, i do much
prefer macros, even though I am very much a beginner to them.

If the file would help, I can post a link to it later as I do not
currently have the latest copy with me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for your response, the link is below.

The people are placed in the order that they shoot, so need to be
sorted before you can gain the top 4 novices and top 4 experienced
from each university. If they didn't need to be filtered & sorted
first, I would simply use RANK, but this won't work to my knowledge.

http://www.geocities.com/nulice2002/BUTTS04.xls

For example, the top scores for Nottingham's Novice team we

John Lester - 425
Alastair Wright - 393
Sarah Hall - 391
Rhys Rhodes - 376
Total: 1585

For this it would need to filter to leave Novices of both sexes,
shooting recurve, for Nottingham and ideally take the names, scores,
golds and hits of the top four and place them in a seperate worksheet
and add them up. Then repeat this for all other Novice teams, order
the totals 1st-6th, then repeat for experienced. I know, asking a lot,
but I think it will probably be simple, just long winded.

Thanks again.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message ...
Post a link and explain how to score if it is other than adding together
final scores of the top 4 experienced and top 4 novice on each team.

Tom Ogilvy

"Steve Hill" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

worked up a possible solution and sent the workbook to your yahoo address.

If you don't get it, contact me with a good email address

Tom Ogilvy

om...

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message

Post a link and explain how to score if it is other than adding together
final scores of the top 4 experienced and top 4 novice on each team.

Tom Ogilvy

"Steve Hill" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks a lot, this works just fine. I may tweak it into something more
presentable when I have the time and more knowledge in the subject,
but for now it does exactly what I asked for and that is the important
thing.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have found one problem when i come to format the results page for
presentational reasons. As you pointed out, there can be situations
when there is not enough members to constitute a full team, (in fact
we had this problem only Sunday.) In this case, how would extra rows
be inserted for the missing team members, (either blank or with dummy
scores of zero), as I plan to write/record a macro whereas it takes
the team results sheet and formats it by moving the data from the
table to elsewhere.

If I simply copy the data as it is now, I will come unstuck when a
team in future has more or less than the cell ranges I have defined to
move for this set of results. Since each team has 4 members, inserting
blank rows in means I can define each range for novice/experienced and
each university.

I was thinking of inserting a new row immediately after the results
that are there, achieved by counting the number in each team and an if
statement.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message ...
It definitely could be tweaked to achieve your presentation objectives.

Tom Ogilvy

"Steve Hill" wrote in message
om...
Thanks a lot, this works just fine. I may tweak it into something more
presentable when I have the time and more knowledge in the subject,
but for now it does exactly what I asked for and that is the important
thing.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

P.S Updated link