Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Extract 1st word and in capitals

I have a list in column B that looks like this

Jones Fred
Brown Al
Daniels Bert

what I want to end up with is

JONES
BROWN
DANIELS

so in short I need to extract the first word of the cell and it needs to be
in capital letters.

What is the best way to do this please.

Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert
try
=UPPER(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1))

Frank

Robert Gillard wrote:
I have a list in column B that looks like this

Jones Fred
Brown Al
Daniels Bert

what I want to end up with is

JONES
BROWN
DANIELS

so in short I need to extract the first word of the cell and it needs
to be in capital letters.

What is the best way to do this please.

Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try in C1 if Jones ... in B1

=UPPER(LEFT(B1;FIND(" ";B1) or

to be sure with space char

UPPER(LEFT(TRIM(B1);FIND(" ";TRIM(B1))

"Robert Gillard" wrote in message
I have a list in column B that looks like this

Jones Fred
Brown Al
Daniels Bert

what I want to end up with is

JONES
BROWN
DANIELS

so in short I need to extract the first word of the cell and it needs to

be
in capital letters.

What is the best way to do this please.

Bob