Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default extract word before /

Hello I want to extract the word or words before the " /" example the
cell reads University of Texas/TX so I need to extract University of Texas .
I tried right and left functions but it does not work. the cells always has
the name of the university then / initials of the state thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=search("/",a1)
will give you the position of the slash.

So
=left(a1,search("/",a1)-1)
will give you the stuff before the slash.

If there's a chance that you don't have slashes in the data, you could use:
=left(a1,search("/",a1&"/")-1)

It'll avoid the error.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about this?

=LEFT(A2,FIND("/",A2)-1)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Wanna Learn" wrote:

Hello I want to extract the word or words before the " /" example the
cell reads University of Texas/TX so I need to extract University of Texas .
I tried right and left functions but it does not work. the cells always has
the name of the university then / initials of the state thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
if the cells always has the name of the university then / initials of the
state,
try text to columns using the back slash as a delimiter.

on the 03 menu bardatatext to columnsfollow the wizard.

Regards
FSt1