Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Use a cell with text on it as part of a SUM formula

Using an indirect command, I got "Bond!D1:D5" in cell A1. "Bond" is the
name of one of my tabs.

I want to sum the values in the Bond tab, cells D1:D5, using the text
displayed in cell A1. In other words, I want to use SUM(Bond!D1:D5) in
cell A2, but I don't want to type the "Bond!D1:D5" portion, but rather
pull it from cell A1, which is showing "Bond!D1:D5"...obviously,
=sum("A1") didn't work.

I'm attaching the example in case I have managed to confuse everybody.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Attachment filename: test.xls
Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=431003
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi mmorganb,

That is what you should use the INDIRECT worksheet function for. Enter this
in A2:

=SUM(INDIRECT(A1))

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

Using an indirect command, I got "Bond!D1:D5" in cell A1. "Bond" is
the name of one of my tabs.

I want to sum the values in the Bond tab, cells D1:D5, using the text
displayed in cell A1. In other words, I want to use SUM(Bond!D1:D5) in
cell A2, but I don't want to type the "Bond!D1:D5" portion, but rather
pull it from cell A1, which is showing "Bond!D1:D5"...obviously,
=sum("A1") didn't work.

I'm attaching the example in case I have managed to confuse everybody.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Attachment filename: test.xls
Download attachment:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=431003 ---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
try
=SUM(INDIRECT(A1))
if A1 stores your cell reference as string

Frank

Using an indirect command, I got "Bond!D1:D5" in cell A1. "Bond" is
the name of one of my tabs.

I want to sum the values in the Bond tab, cells D1:D5, using the text
displayed in cell A1. In other words, I want to use SUM(Bond!D1:D5)

in
cell A2, but I don't want to type the "Bond!D1:D5" portion, but

rather
pull it from cell A1, which is showing "Bond!D1:D5"...obviously,
=sum("A1") didn't work.

I'm attaching the example in case I have managed to confuse

everybody.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Attachment filename: test.xls
Download attachment:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=431003 ---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Guys,

Thanks for your prompt reply (in fact, I found out I was making an
obvious mistake). Your help was greatly appreciated.

Michael

---