Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Groupings

Greetings,

I have a chart that looks a little like this:

a b
1 bob 1
2 joe 1
3 harry 2
4 joe 2
5 bob 1

....etc.

Is it possible for me to have a cell that is a sum of every cell in the
column "b" where the name in column "a" is "joe"? In the above example,
the correct answer would be 3 (because b2 plus b4).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jason
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jason

you need to use SUMIF

For example:

=SUMIF(A:A,"bob",B:B)

Regards

Trevor

"Jason" wrote in message
Greetings,

I have a chart that looks a little like this:

a b
1 bob 1
2 joe 1
3 harry 2
4 joe 2
5 bob 1

...etc.

Is it possible for me to have a cell that is a sum of every cell in the
column "b" where the name in column "a" is "joe"? In the above example,
the correct answer would be 3 (because b2 plus b4).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:56:11 GMT, Jason wrote:

SumIf will do this for you:

=SUMIF(A1:A5,"joe",B1:B5)

I have a chart that looks a little like this:

a b
1 bob 1
2 joe 1
3 harry 2
4 joe 2
5 bob 1

...etc.

Is it possible for me to have a cell that is a sum of every cell in the
column "b" where the name in column "a" is "joe"? In the above example,
the correct answer would be 3 (because b2 plus b4).

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jason

That's exactly what a Pivot Table in its simplest form does. See
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm on how to set it up.

--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Followup to newsgroup only please.

"Jason" wrote in message
Greetings,

I have a chart that looks a little like this:

a b
1 bob 1
2 joe 1
3 harry 2
4 joe 2
5 bob 1

...etc.

Is it possible for me to have a cell that is a sum of every cell in the
column "b" where the name in column "a" is "joe"? In the above example,
the correct answer would be 3 (because b2 plus b4).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jason wrote:

Greetings,

I have a chart that looks a little like this:

a b
1 bob 1
2 joe 1
3 harry 2
4 joe 2
5 bob 1

...etc.

Is it possible for me to have a cell that is a sum of every cell in the
column "b" where the name in column "a" is "joe"? In the above example,
the correct answer would be 3 (because b2 plus b4).

{=SUM((A1:A5="joe")*B1:B5)}

Hi, this is an array formula, so don't place the brackets {} when
typing, enter the formula not by simply pressing enter, instead you must
press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Beto
Reply: Erase between the dot (inclusive) and the @.
Responder: Borra la frase obvia y el punto previo.