Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default calculate the derivative (rate of change) of variables

Hello everyone:
Does anyone know how to calculate the derivative (rate of change) of different variables in Excel?
For example, we have columns A, B, C
A B C
5 4 6

the rate of change between column A&B is -20% ((4-5)/5) and the rate of change between
column B&C is +50% ((6-4)/4).

Can anyone please tell me what I should do to set up a sheet that calculate the rate of change for me, please??
Thanks very much!!

fyon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am probably missing something in understanding the question. why ca
you not just have formulas such as =((B5-A5)/A5) for row 5 as a
example

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Fyon,

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I'l answer of what it seems to me.

Suppose your 3 cells ( values 5; 4 and 6) are in A2:C2. (I assume you have
some heading in row(1) ).

Now in cell D1 and E1 input a heading (for instance : %Change A B and
%Change A B )

Input in cell D2 =(B2-A2)/A2. Copy this cell to E2. Format both cell as
%.

When you enter new values in column A;B and C you can copy the formules in
D2 and E2 down as well.
(NB whenever a cell in column A is 0; you get as result in cell D in the
same row #DIV/0!; indicating an error)
(the same is true for a cell n column B equal to 0 ; the result in column E
will be #DIV/0!)

If you want to suppress these errormessages and get a "blank" cell as
result, then use in D2 the formula
=IF(ISERROR((B1-A1)/A1),"",(B1-A1)/A1)

As I said I'm not sure that this is what you want, but if it is : Succes

Auk Ales

* Please reply to this newsgroup only *
* I will not react on unsolicited e-mails *