Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I calculate instantaneous rate of change in excel?

I have a two columns of data in excel (x) and (y). I want to
calculate instantaneous rate of change for values in (y) with respect
(x). How can I do this?

X Y dy/dx
1 10
2 100 ?
3 1000 ?
4 10000 ?
5 100000 ?

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How can I calculate instantaneous rate of change in excel?

To calculate the instantaneous rate of change in Excel, you can use the slope function. Here are the steps:
  1. First, create a third column next to your data (x) and (y) and label it "dy/dx" or whatever you prefer.
  2. In the first cell of the "dy/dx" column, enter the formula "=SLOPE(B2:B3,A2:A3)".
  3. Copy the formula down to the rest of the cells in the "dy/dx" column.
  4. The formula will calculate the slope of the line between the current point and the previous point, giving you the instantaneous rate of change at that point.
  5. The first cell in the "dy/dx" column will be blank since there is no previous point to calculate the slope from.
  6. You can format the "dy/dx" column as a number with the desired number of decimal places to make it easier to read.

That's it! You now have the instantaneous rate of change for each value in (y) with respect to (x).
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Not exactly sure what your looking for but maybe:

=IF(A2<0,B2/A2,"")
copied down

you need to check for a value in A2 because if A2 is empty then you get a
#DIV/0! error.

HTH
Jean-Guy

"nexxusvp" wrote:

I have a two columns of data in excel (x) and (y). I want to
calculate instantaneous rate of change for values in (y) with respect
(x). How can I do this?

X Y dy/dx
1 10
2 100 ?
3 1000 ?
4 10000 ?
5 100000 ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I am not mistaken,

y=10^x

Then...
Dy/Dx =POWER(10,x)*LN(10)

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"nexxusvp" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a two columns of data in excel (x) and (y). I want to
calculate instantaneous rate of change for values in (y) with respect
(x). How can I do this?

X Y dy/dx
1 10
2 100 ?
3 1000 ?
4 10000 ?
5 100000 ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rather than B2/A2, the OP may have wanted =(B3-B2)/(A3-A2)

If the OP wants the gradient at a point, then the increments need to be made
smaller.
[dy/dx is the limit of (delta y/ delta x) as delta x tends to zero]
--
David Biddulph