Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open One Word File from Excel

Using Excel VBA, I am trying to copy data from one Excel
file to one Word file, and cycle back and forth between
the two files without opening a new Word file each time I
dump data from Excel into Word. When I use CreateObject,
I get a new instance of the Word file, but I don't know
how to use GetObject to activate an already open Word file
since the Word file is not saved yet and at this point is
just Document1. I don't want 20 instances of Word, just
one, with one Word file to contain all the dumped data.
Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Stratuser,

One idea is to use the sendkeys command while word is active.

You could also activate word with the send keys command.

It has worked for me in the past.

I hope that helps.

Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Stratuser,

you can try this.

Sub copyexceltoword()

Set wd = CreateObject("word.application")
wd.Application.Visible = True
wd.Application.Documents.Open "c:\matt.doc" ' Open your word document
Application.Visible = True

For a = 1 To 5

Application.Range("a" & a).Copy 'copy data from excel
wd.Selection.Paste 'Paste data into word
Next a

Set wd = Nothing 'Clear the memory. Very important.

End Sub

let me know if you need further help.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, but that doesn't work either, because I don't want
to create a new instance of Word each time I run this
subroutine. If I use CreateObject("word.application") I
get a new instance every time I call the procedure.

Set wd = CreateObject("word.application")
wd.Application.Visible = True
wd.Application.Documents.Open "c:\matt.doc" ' Open your

word document
Application.Visible = True

For a = 1 To 5

Application.Range("a" & a).Copy 'copy data from excel
wd.Selection.Paste 'Paste data into word
Next a

Set wd = Nothing 'Clear the memory. Very important.

End Sub

let me know if you need further help.

---

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use GetObject. This will return an existing Word application. If
it returns Nothing, then use CreateObject to create a new
instance of Word. E.g.,

Dim WordObj As Object
Set WordObj = GetObject(, "Word.Application") 'note leading comma
If WordObj Is Nothing Then
Set WordObj = CreateObject("Word.Application")

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC