Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help with Excel and MS Sql Server

Hi, I am writting a excel form that is hopefully going to connect to a sql
database. However i have run into an interesting problem. I haven;t actually
figured out how exactly to do it yet, but that should be easy since there is
an abundance of good posts on the subject. One thing I am concererned about
however is that the computer at work which i must run the form off is
running Win2k server with functional , but incolmplet version of Excel 2K.
When it was installed they didn't include unnecessary files such as vba help
and perhaps more importantlyThe access referenc files and such. I don't know
exactly how much of the install is actually there. The reason in know this
is because i can't quere a database using the "Get External Data" command.
It says that the necessary files were not installed.

Anyways, my question is this: Will i still be able to connect to the sql
databse under VBA? If I can't is it possible to include the needed files
with my .xls for it to connect?

I'm very new to this database connection stuff and i don't want to get far
just to be stopped by something small. Any Help would be great. Thanks alot

Dan Butler

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Get External Data requires installation of MSquery. Why not just bring up
the office install program and install the other files that you need.

There are other methods of getting external data, such as ADO and DAO.

Also, Microsoft recommends against using Office products server side
(because it is designed to be user interactive by nature). I don't know
what you intend to do, however.

Tom Ogilvy

Dan wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the quick response Tom. Let me be more specific.

I can't easily install the other files since it is a work computer and is
handled by the companies main office. The chance of getting them to approve
the upgrade in any efficient time is unlikely. What I am trying to do
exactly is to query a database that my company is connected to retrieve
information on particular items. My store contains product information
within a sql database which i need to query with a textbox in order to fill
an array which will later be used for creating shelf signs.
i have all the databse information (I believe) to acess it, I just need to
figure out how to achieve this.

I don;t really know much about ado or dao and how ot use them to connect,
but i will start researching them now. Thanks again.
Any other help or information would be greatly appretiated.

Dan Butler

Dan wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is a start at the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://tinyurl.com/33h7a

This is to sqlserver which is an sql database - you don't say which one you
have to access.

Tom Ogilvy