Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I calculate percentage from seconds?

Hello:

Relatively new to excell.. so prob a easy question for most. But here goes!

I would like to get the percentage of seconds lets say in an hour which would be 3600 seconds. So if A1 has the total number of seconds expected to work and in A2 was the actual number of seconds worked. Lets say I wanted to have the percentage of time worked in A3 example 80%, 75% etc. I know how to figure out the seconds just not how to have the percent total show in A3 or what time was actually done. Hope you can understand this. Thank you,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Laurie!

As long as both cells are in numeric form or both in time form.

=A2/A1
Format as a percentage

You problem is if you have one cell in time form and the other as
numeric.

A1: 00:5:00
A2 150

=A2/A1
Returns: 4320000%

You need to convert the time form to seconds:

=A2/(A1*24*60*60)
Returns 50%

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

available free to good homes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Norman ~ but did not work.. I think I am making this harder
than it needs to be. Just so new to excell.

Lets forget the seconds thing - and lets say A1 has a number value of
5700 and A2 will have a number of 4700 - now how would I get A3 to minus
A2 from A1 to give me the percent to show in A3... which should be 80%.

Thank you -
Laurie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Laurie!

Something's wrong with your maths or your explanation.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia

available free to good homes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

O.K. maybe I am wrong what is 80% of 7200?

is it 5760 "I think I said wrong amount?

yes I was wrong sorry.. so rephrase!

Gosh now I really feel like an idiot.

All I want to do is have A1 where I can put in any numberal amount. And
have A2 another amount (could be any)wil be less thou then A1 - and then
in A3 have it calculate out what ever percent A1 is minus A2 is from A1
being the main factor?

Gosh I don't know I just want to do a simple percent fraction between
two amounts.

Don't laugh... I am sure it is not as difficult as I am making it!

Laurie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Laurie!

Still not totally clear!

A1
7200
A2
5760

A3:
=A2/A1
Returns 80% (Format as a percentage)
i.e. A2 is 80% of A1

A3:
=(A1-A2)/A1
Returns: 20% (Format as a percentage)
i.e. The difference between A1 and A2 is 20% of A1

A3:
=(A1-A2)/A2
Returns: 25% (Format as a percentage)
i.e. The difference between A1 and A2 is 25% of A2

Hope that I've got at least one answer that you want but keep at it if
I haven't.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia

available free to good homes.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Norman:

I think the first one you said should is it.

Thanks, I knew it could not be that hard.. but like I said so new to
excell.

Thanks again,
Laurie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Laurie!

Great to know we got there in the end. I never did like percentages at
school and with a mortgage, I like them even less now.