Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Before workbook open

I have a spreadsheet on a network at work that links to 6 differen
spreadsheets. I know you can turn off the question for updating th
automatic links manually. I have found that it depends on each user
own Excel settings.

I am curious to know if there is a way during start-up to have th
question not asked to update the links regardless of what the user'
personal settings are, while still updating.

I assume, if this possible, that it would have to be done in VBA code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using Excel 9

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

xl2002 added an option for this under
Edit|links|startup prompt

But before that you have to let individual users decide for themselves--and they
can choose to be prompted or to not to be prompted, but have the links update.

In earlier versions, you could use a helper workbook that opens the workbook
with the links. That code in that helper workbook could specify how to open the
workbook with links.

Kind of like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls", UpdateLinks:=0
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

(see VBA's help for all the options for updatelinks.)

But the problem is that the linking question comes before any VBA code (in the
workbook with links) is executed.)

That's why the helper workbook is useful.

"DJ_DEF <" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet on a network at work that links to 6 different
spreadsheets. I know you can turn off the question for updating the
automatic links manually. I have found that it depends on each users
own Excel settings.

I am curious to know if there is a way during start-up to have the
question not asked to update the links regardless of what the user's
personal settings are, while still updating.

I assume, if this possible, that it would have to be done in VBA code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using Excel 97

---

Dave Peterson