Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Personal.XLS path problem

HI.

I have a macro installed in my Personal.xls file that does some formatting
on the current activesheet.

I have assigned this macro to a button command button on an Excel toobar.

If I open spreadsheets I can use this button to format layout with no
problems.

There is one application I use which opens Excel and exports it's CSV data
into a spreadsheet.

When this appliction opens Excel my Personal.xls file is loaded,
but the macro button points to the Personal.xls file using a system path,
so that when I click on the button to run the macro Excel complains that
'Personal.xls' is already open - and won't open this second instance.

Can anyone tell me how this application can open Excel and confuse the
macro button association so that it thinks it is pointing to another
Personal.XLS?
(or how to get round this problem?)

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I do it all the time as well. What is happening is you have excel open
already and your personal.xls is already loaded. Personal.xls is loaded
automatically when excel loads. It is not pointing to another personal.xls
it is just trying to load something that is already loaded.
You will either need to close excel before running this application or have
the application check to see if excel is already open before it opens it
again.
HTH

"Lenonardo" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Cliff Myers" wrote in
:

I do it all the time as well. What is happening is you have excel
open already and your personal.xls is already loaded. Personal.xls is
loaded automatically when excel loads. It is not pointing to another
personal.xls it is just trying to load something that is already
loaded. You will either need to close excel before running this
application or have the application check to see if excel is already
open before it opens it again.
HTH

Thanks

I don't think this is what is happening (although may be) as there are
definitely no other Excel's open - and there is no warning message on
opening Excel - only when I try and run the macro button from within an
instance of Excel openend by this other application.

But this does suggest that maybe the application is opening a background
Excel and suppressing warning messages. I'll have a look at the
processes running to see if multiple instances of Excel is a possible
contributory factor.

The application probably contains some very old Code (from 10 years ago)
so my just be using outdated VB / Excel proctices for handling files /
menus etc.