Posted to microsoft.public.visio.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

Default Excel to Visio to Word

Hi

I'm using Office 2000 and Visio 2000 in a networked Windows 2000
environment. We are finding that more and more time is being spent rotating
spreadsheet data that originated in Excel in order for it to fit on a
portrait page in Word. At the moment the production department are being
burdened with this task. They use the following steps:
- Create a pdf of the spreadsheet table
- Open and rotate in Illustrator
- Paste into Word.
Not everyone in the office has access to Acrobat or Illustrator so we've got
a real bottleneck situation brewing! What I'd love to do is set up a macro
which :
- In Excel the user selects data
- Use the Copy Picture command to put spreadsheet table on the clipboard
- Open Visio (if not already open)
- Create new blank drawing
- Paste the picture from the clipboard
- Use the Shape menu, Rotate Left command
- Use the Copy command to put the rotated picture on the clipboard
- Switch to open Word document
- Paste the picture at insertion point

Is this possible? I've set up some templates in Word before but never used
vba with visio. Any ideas/ guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Preeti

Posted to microsoft.public.visio.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

I certainly wudn't advise Word to act as automation server
in this scenario.

Yr best bet wud be to use Visio as the automation server.
Having typed this, I see y've copied in the Visio Developer community as
well ....
Good!

Krgrds,
Perry

"P. Dua-Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.visio.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

"P. Dua-Brown" wrote in message
[...]

I have no experience with Visio, but I believe it does have VBA, so you
ought to be able to do this. The expers in each newsgroup should be able to
give you pointers on each application.

I'm just wondering why you even need to rotate the data. Why not just put it
on a landscape page in Word? You can have both landscape and portrait pages
in the same Word document.

-Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.visio.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

It's a style thing and users tend to get into all sorts of trouble using
section breaks.
I was hoping that it would be possible to create a macro in Excel as that is
where the source data would reside.
Many thanks
Preeti

"Thomas Winter" wrote in message
"P. Dua-Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.visio.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

"P. Dua-Brown" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with you on users and section breaks!

I imagine some people in the Excel group should be able to help with the
Excel code. No experience here!

-Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.visio.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

One of the benifits of using Microsoft products is the use of VBA. This is a
tool that will allow you to convert data in one format to another.
First step is to define what you want to do. This is the hardest part.
The next step is to program it.

If you have data in an excel spread sheet,
option 1) think of saving this information in a CSV file, then open word and
import this file, and then convert the text to a table.
option 2) save to a CSV file, use VBA to parse this file in Word as you
like.
option 3) etc. etc. etc.

If you want additional advise, take a screen shot of what the excell file
looks like, then a screen shot of your word file, and post. Change the data
for confidentiality, but keep the format or meaning the same.

As you have mentioned so far, this is a no brainer for me. Looks like a
quick VBA or VB or KeyStroke issue.