Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Outline Performance Degrades

All,

I am trying to programatically apply an Outline to a sheet of about 1000
data rows.

So I use: Sheets("Sheet1").Rows(i).OutlineLevel = x

in a loop and this works fine on a test sheet. It takes about 0.3 seconds
for 1000 lines.

Problem:
With a large file loaded in Excel (about 8Meg - not THAT large), but not
active, the same test routine on the same test sheet in the same test file
slows to about 1.5 seconds PER LOOP STATEMENT !

Have tried all performance tricks I know - events, calculation,
screenupdating, disabling macros of the big spreadsheet, clearing the TEMP
directory. It appears that memory availability highly impacts performance of
the outline function.

Has this been encountered? Any workarounds, or am I somehow mis-applying the
OutlineLevel approach?
This seems to happen in XL2000 and XL2002.

Thanks for any enlightenment,

Alex J

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Correction:

On further testing, not just ANY large file slows down Outline level setting
function, but a specific set of functions in one file. I will update the NG
with any correlations I can find.

Alex