Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Long time to load

It take forever to load a worksheet (3-4 minutes). I
have a new, powerful machine. If I load the file on
someone else's computer it takes one second to load.
I've turned off my virus protection software, disabled
macros, and I'm at a loss at to why it takes so long to
load. Any suggestions? Thanks, John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

John,

Clear out (delete) the files from your temp directory(s).

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"john" wrote in message
It take forever to load a worksheet (3-4 minutes). I
have a new, powerful machine. If I load the file on
someone else's computer it takes one second to load.
I've turned off my virus protection software, disabled
macros, and I'm at a loss at to why it takes so long to
load. Any suggestions? Thanks, John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you have virus protection that is checking the file (such as Norton
Anti-Virus).

Also, with Excel closed, try cleaning out your Temp folder.

Tom Ogilvy

john wrote in message
It take forever to load a worksheet (3-4 minutes). I
have a new, powerful machine. If I load the file on
someone else's computer it takes one second to load.
I've turned off my virus protection software, disabled
macros, and I'm at a loss at to why it takes so long to
load. Any suggestions? Thanks, John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, when I loaded the software I used the default
settings for the directory structure. I couldn't find
a 'temp' directory. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks for your help. John

"john" wrote in message
It take forever to load a worksheet (3-4 minutes). I
have a new, powerful machine. If I load the file on
someone else's computer it takes one second to load.
I've turned off my virus protection software, disabled
macros, and I'm at a loss at to why it takes so long to
load. Any suggestions? Thanks, John

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is the windows temp folder--not exclusive to excel.

Windows Start button
Run
%temp%
(both percent signs are needed)
Hit ok.

(it's the quickest way I know to get there.)

Depending on what's running, you might get some "can't delete" warnings. Just
select your files around those.

When I do it by hand, I show the list in detail view and sort by date. Then I
can get rid of everything before today in one fell swoop.

(Click the first and shift click the last file to select everything in between.)

"john" wrote in message
It take forever to load a worksheet (3-4 minutes). I
have a new, powerful machine. If I load the file on
someone else's computer it takes one second to load.
I've turned off my virus protection software, disabled
macros, and I'm at a loss at to why it takes so long to
load. Any suggestions? Thanks, John

.

--

Dave Peterson