Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Scudo

Default Time to load spreadsheet

When I open a spreadsheet (old or new) it takes about 15 seconds to load, I
seem to recall getting an allmost instant opening on them, and I think it
has just slowly increased over a period of time. I have done all the usual
defrag,virus checks, emptied cache/cookies temp folders etc.
Is this loading time normal or should I be investigating this further. Its
not a `big deal` but slightly frustrating.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

I've had the same problem.

You could also check to see what other programs are running in the
background and stop those that you are sure aren't wanted. It's surprising
what gets installed without you realising it. I bet if you done a complete
software rebuild the whole thing would be appreciably faster - but you don't
really want to do that just for the fun of it. Over and above that I'd
guess that anti-spyware and anti-virus software running in the background (a
necessary evil) would take its toll on available resource.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Scudo" wrote in message
. uk...
When I open a spreadsheet (old or new) it takes about 15 seconds to load,
seem to recall getting an allmost instant opening on them, and I think it
has just slowly increased over a period of time. I have done all the usual
defrag,virus checks, emptied cache/cookies temp folders etc.
Is this loading time normal or should I be investigating this further.
Its
not a `big deal` but slightly frustrating.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
keithl816

Hi Scudo,

I have Office 2000 and also noticed the same thing, What I did notice
is that everytime I open an excel workbook whether it's new or not I
see a request for a virus check in the bar at the lower left of the
screen just above the start button. Until that request disappears the
workbook won't open. I believe Bill is right that the anti virus is
probably one the reasons it has slowed down.

By the way, I noticed a little bit of speed in load time when I cleaned
my temp files.

Larry

--
keithl816
keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21287

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Scudo

Is there a way to `switch off` the anti virus check?

"keithl816" wrote
in message ...

Hi Scudo,

I have Office 2000 and also noticed the same thing, What I did notice
is that everytime I open an excel workbook whether it's new or not I
see a request for a virus check in the bar at the lower left of the
screen just above the start button. Until that request disappears the
workbook won't open. I believe Bill is right that the anti virus is
probably one the reasons it has slowed down.

By the way, I noticed a little bit of speed in load time when I cleaned
my temp files.

Larry

--
keithl816
keithl816's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499146

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
keithl816

Never thought about disabling the anti virus, I did go back and thumb
through the menu and could not find anything that would allow you to do
so.

Might just be looking in the wrong place.

larry