Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Opposite of CONCATENATE

What command would allow me to do the opposite of CONCATENATE in Excel? I'm trying to break-up a field with a full name, hence i need to extract the first name, middle and last name.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the easiest way is to use the Mid, Left and Right
functions.
The instr function can help you find where comma and/or
space separators between the names are.

What command would allow me to do the opposite of

CONCATENATE in Excel? I'm trying to break-up a field with
a full name, hence i need to extract the first name,
middle and last name.
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use the Text to Columns command to separate the data.

Ensure that there are several blank columns to the right of the
column that contains the names.
Select the cells with names, and choose DataText to Columns
Select Delimited, click Next
Select the appropriate delimiter (e.g. Space or comma)
Click Finish

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

(Tiko)**2,

If you do not prefer Debora's very practical example, and want to do
something in VBA instead, try:
(This assumes that all names are delimited sith spaces. If you have initials
and periods, you will have to do a little more processing)

Sub splitter()

Dim namefield As String
Dim NameX() As String

namefield = "Alfred Jim Muggs"
NameX = Split(namefield, " ")
For i = LBound(NameX) To UBound(NameX)
msg = msg & "Name " & i + 1 & " is: [" & NameX(i) & "]" &
vbCrLf
Next i
MsgBox msg

End Sub

Alex J

TikoTiko wrote:
What command would allow me to do the opposite of CONCATENATE in Excel?

I'm trying to break-up a field with a full name, hence i need to extract the
first name, middle and last name.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See also Chip's page
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

But at the end, no computer can tell for sure whether the "Bølla" in "Arnstein Bølla
Cheng" is a part of the first or the last name, or even whether the family name comes last
or first. There's manual auditing to be done.

--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Followup to newsgroup only please.