Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem with Pivot table reports

We are facing a problem with the Excel based reports for
pivot table. The Report points to a cube in the SQL 2000
Analysis Server. The Excel version is Excel 2002 (office
XP)

We have a report that has about 10 dimensions (Dim 1 to
Dim10) in the Page area. There are about 2 dimensions
(say Dim11 and Dim12) in the report body.

The following steps are carried out.

1. The two dimensions are dragged from the report body and
placed into the page area.
2. One of the dimensions Say Dim1, is dragged and dropped
into the report body.
3. another dimension say Dim2, is also dragged into the
report body.

The Problem that occurs When step 1, step 2 or step 3 is
done repeatedly at some point of time, when

Dim1 is dropped into the report body, it fetches Data
related to Dim3 or any other dimension other than the
Dim1.

This problem get solved when the Dim1 is again dragged
from the field List window and dropped into the report.
But this solution is only temporary and surfaces again
when some more operations like given in steps above are
carried out.

This occurrence is very random and not simulatable in any
definite sequence of steps.

We would like to know if there is any other solution /
workaround to avoid this problem.

Appreciate your help.

Shanmugavel.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't think there is anything you can do about this. Having used
various versions of Excel in the last 20 years it does seem that it
"gives up" after a time.

Nowadays I always close down and re-open Excel when convenient - at
least 2 or 3 times a day. In the "olden" days it was also a good idea
to do a full system reboot. I think it is connected to the way Excel
handles memory (it has its own manager). It does not necessarily return
memory back to general usage when shut down.

I suggest you obtain as much memory as possible.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Shanmugavel,

Thank you for posting in MSDN managed newsgroup!

From my experience on this issue, you will need to install the latest Office XP updates from http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx.
Other updates for your windows operating system can be installed from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Furthermore, I'd suggest you may post this issue in the "Microsoft.public.excel.misc". These Excel experts may provide more assistance for you
regarding this issue.

Thank you once more for using Microsoft NewsGroup!

Wei-Dong Xu
Microsoft Product Support Services