Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Programming

I am trying to automatically move data from one cell to another cell
within the same workbook by inputting only the initial figure. Sheet 1
is the worksheet I would like to move the data to and sheet 2 contains
the column of data.

For example:

"If 8810 is entered into one of cells A1 through A10 on sheet 1, then
..052 and 2.56 from sheet 2 appear in the corresponding cells in columns
G and H, respectively on sheet 1."

Can this be accomplished in Excel? If so, what is the procedure? What
might be an easy to understand, step-by-step reference to achieve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you are looking for the VLookup funcion
See the Excel help for examples

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)

"Dan Gorman" wrote in message ...
I am trying to automatically move data from one cell to another cell
within the same workbook by inputting only the initial figure. Sheet 1
is the worksheet I would like to move the data to and sheet 2 contains
the column of data.

For example:

"If 8810 is entered into one of cells A1 through A10 on sheet 1, then
052 and 2.56 from sheet 2 appear in the corresponding cells in columns
G and H, respectively on sheet 1."

Can this be accomplished in Excel? If so, what is the procedure? What
might be an easy to understand, step-by-step reference to achieve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

sounds like you want to use Vlookup

in G1
=if(A1="","",Vlookup(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$C$200,2,False ))

in H1
=if(A1="","",Vlookup(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$C$200,3,False ))

then drag fill down the column,

Assumes the values being lookup are in column A in sheet2, and the value to
be returned are in B for G and C for H

Tom Ogilvy

"Dan Gorman" wrote in message
I am trying to automatically move data from one cell to another cell
within the same workbook by inputting only the initial figure. Sheet 1
is the worksheet I would like to move the data to and sheet 2 contains
the column of data.

For example:

"If 8810 is entered into one of cells A1 through A10 on sheet 1, then
052 and 2.56 from sheet 2 appear in the corresponding cells in columns
G and H, respectively on sheet 1."

Can this be accomplished in Excel? If so, what is the procedure? What
might be an easy to understand, step-by-step reference to achieve this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Vlookup worked great. I was able to retrieve the correct data.
However, in the cells next to the column of cells that contain the
returned data, I have a simple multiplication formula. When these cells
are empty, #VALUE! appears. The problem is that I can not add the cells
that contain the multiplication formula together when one or more cells
contain #VALUE!.

Is there something in the vlookup formula that may be causing this?
There is no text in the data being retrieved, only numbers. I used the
vlookup formula exactly as you gave it to me in your example.

Thanks for your help.