Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Using OWC10 to access an Excel file with linked SQL Server

Hello,

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a table in SQL Server as
an extenal data source. I am using C# to access this
spreadsheet using OWC10 on the web server in an ASP.NET
application.

The goal is to change a cell's value in Excel through
server-side code based on input on a web form, let Excel
grab the related data from SQL Server, perform its
calculations, and put results in another cell. The
server side code would then grab the results from the
Excel and display it in the browser.

The challenge that I am facing here is that for some
strange reason, the data from SQL Server does not get
refreshed in Excel. When I use the same spreadsheet in
interactive mode (meaning not through server side code),
as soon as I change the value in the input cell, the data
from SQL Server gets refreshed in the spreadsheet
immidiately. I have already tried calling the Refresh,
Calculate, and CalculateFull methods on the spreadsheet
object -- but no success.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, I am disappointed that no one posted any replies to
this. Is this because it's not doable? Am I posting in
the wrong newsgoup? Or is it that I am doing something
that other people won't usually do?

Thanks again,
-Charles

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Charles Dame wrote:
Well, I am disappointed that no one posted any replies to
this.

Sorry we disappointed you.

I can't speak for my colleagues but when I read 4 things (SQL Server,
C#, OWC10 and ASP.NET) in the first paragraph about which I know
nothing, I decided not to read on as I would be unlikely to know the
answer.

I guess OWC10 might have something to do with Office Web Components,
which are not really a part of Excel.

You might try
microsoft.public.office.developer.web.components

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup