Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RzB RzB is offline

Default Stoping an Auto Open macro from running

I would like to know how to stop the Auto Open
macro from running on start up. I sort of expected
to be able to hold down the shift key similar to the
way Access works. But that don't work. Interestingly
I found an old post on Google that sort of suggests it
should.

Is there some higher level setting that is overriding
the shift key?

Many thanks,
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

The shift key is only working if you open the file from within Excel.
Not if you open it from the Windows explorer

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)

"RzB" wrote in message ...
I would like to know how to stop the Auto Open
macro from running on start up. I sort of expected
to be able to hold down the shift key similar to the
way Access works. But that don't work. Interestingly
I found an old post on Google that sort of suggests it
should.

Is there some higher level setting that is overriding
the shift key?

Many thanks,
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RzB RzB is offline

Aha - yes I was opening from Windows Explorer.

So it only works from Excel - hmmm....

I suppose I could look for the shift key in Auto Open
and exit if I find it is down...

Ok - Many thanks,
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RzB RzB is offline

Hmmm.... Interesting - Don't work for me from
Windows Explorer.
Windows XP Prof and Excel 2002.

Works if I open it from within Excel....

A little bugette perchance or
- working as designed, even if it's not consistent!

Roy

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
It worked ok for me from windows explorer (win98 and xl2002).

The auto_open code didn't run and neither did the workbook_open event.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave is using Win 98.

I try it in Win 98 also and it is not working.
But Dave have a special version<g

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)

"RzB" wrote in message ...
Hmmm.... Interesting - Don't work for me from
Windows Explorer.
Windows XP Prof and Excel 2002.

Works if I open it from within Excel....

A little bugette perchance or
- working as designed, even if it's not consistent!

Roy

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
It worked ok for me from windows explorer (win98 and xl2002).

The auto_open code didn't run and neither did the workbook_open event.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Both are special--I just tried it again and the code didn't execute!

In fact, if xl were closed, I got some some error messages concerning some
addins--I kept holding the shift key down and clicked ok and then got the enable
macros prompt. I chose yes. Auto_open and workbook_open didn't run, but I
could run them later.

If xl were open, the same thing (except for the addin warnings) happened.

But IIRC, this might be the explanation.

I have macro security set to medium. I bet both you guys have macro security
set to Low!

(I think that was a Don Guillet find. Apologies to the real "discoverer" if it
wasn't Don--maybe Bob Phillips????)