Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default MISSING:shappmgrp 1.0 Type Library

Hi Everyone,

I've put together an Excel workbook that accesses an Access database.

It works fine on Windows XP / Excel 2002/3, but objects to VB statements
like TRIM (Compile Error: Can't find project or library), crashes Excel and
won't load any versions of the workbook it has saved on Windows 2000 / Excel
2000.

I've discovered that the missing library is Shappmgrp 1.0 Library, but can't
work out how to find the library or fix the problem.

I suspect that the library is either part of a Windows XP install or comes
with some other application development environments, because the workbook
also works fine under Windows XP 2002 / Excel 2000.

Anyone with any ideas? I'm desperate for a solution by my (New Zealand)
Monday morning - upgrading Windows or Excel is not an option for my client..

Thanks very much.

Rgds

Gary

Gary Bartlett - Productivity Solutions

Phone 0800 776-276 (NZ) / +64 9 476-2530 (International)

Mobile +64 274 776-276

Fax +64 9 478-8747

http://prodsol.co.nz - dramatic improvement through pattern-level
intervention

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gary,

I think this has been suggested to you previously, but why don't you
just remove this reference from your project? This reference almost
certainly belongs to a 3rd party component installed on your system. I
cannot find any suggestion that it is a component installed by any Microsoft
product.

If you attempt to unselect this reference in the Tools/References dialog
and you get an error message telling you that you can't remove it because
it's in use, it means that you are referring to this component somewhere in
your code. The alternatives at that point are to find and remove all
references to this component so that you can remove it from the
Tools/References list, or figure out what this component is and install it
on all the machines that will be running your application.

The error on the Trim function is a spurious error. VBA is notoriously
bad a pinning down reference problems, and it tends to flag a seemingly
random function from the first referenced type library in the
Tools/References list, no matter what the problem actually is.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

"Gary Bartlett" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gary,

I take that back. As Bill Manville has correctly pointed out below, the
Shappmgrp 1.0 Library is associated with the Add/Remove Programs applet in
Control Panel. I'm not sure what use this would be in an Excel application,
so I would think you should be able to remove this reference without any
problem.

If you cannot remove the reference on the machine where is does not show
up in the Tools/References dialog as MISSING, take your add-in to a machine
that does show this type library as MISSING. Remove the reference there,
save the add-in, then take it back to your development machine and test it
to see if removing the reference has caused any problems.

--

"Rob Bovey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rob and Bill,

SORTED!

(But first, apologies to all for posting twice - two different access
points and didn't relaise that it was the same group. I'll post this
message to both threads, in case anyone else has the same problem and
doesn't realise that you guys have solved the problem.)

You were right. Deleting the reference in the file was all that was
needed.

It didn't work when I first tried it on Bill's advice - probably because
I made the change in the production environment? (Anyway, it crashed
Excel, as before, when I tried to reload it afer making the change
there.)

What I ended up doing was moving the latest version from the production
environment back to the development machine (fearing that it would crash
on the development machine, too, but finding that it didn't) and
deleting the reference there, before moving it back to the development
environment.

Worked a charm.

Thank you very much - I don't know what I or my client would have done
if we hadn't been able to fix this over the weekend!

Please contact me offline to arrange a complimentary copy of some
software that we're developing, Guys - as a quid pro quo for your help.

Rgds

GB

Gary Bartlett

Productivity Solutions