Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default MISSING: shappmgrp 1.0 Type Library

Hi Folks,

I'm accessing an Access database via Excel and find the shappmgrp 1.o type
library si missing. Can you tell me how to find/install it?

If you know anything about it, could you also tell me whether it is this
file that is preventing me from using the TRIM command?

Thanks very much.

Rgds

Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gary Bartlett wrote:
If you know anything about it, could you also tell me whether it is this
file that is preventing me from using the TRIM command?

A missing reference will result in compilation error on some library
function, not necessarily connected with the reference which is missing.

You could just try unchecking the missing reference in Tools / References
If the project then compiles you have solved the problem.

I tried a Google Groups search for shappmgrp and it gave a number of
threads with similar questions but none that I read revealed where to get
the library if you actually need it.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Bill.

I've also done some searching - same experience. Thanks for the
disabling tip - didn't work in this instance.

My understanding is growing and I'm beginnning to suspect that it is not
a pure Excel problem.

The destination environment is Win2K/Excel2K and it is there that I've
had the problems.

The workbook works fine on:
XP2K3/Excel2k3
XP2K2/Excel2K2 and
XP2K2/Excel2K
- so I assumed that it was the client's Excel2K installation (blind to
the operating system differences).

(Win98/Excel97 exhibits the same problem, but doesn't really concern me,
as the client doesn't run them.)

Last night I installed the same Excel2K as is on the XP2K2 machine, onto
the Win2K machine and got the same results, so it can't be the Excel
install that is the problem (used same install CD set - no upgrades or
patches in either case).

So my options a

1. It's an operating system issue. (I.e. the XP install carries the
library).

2. The reason it works on the XP/Excel2K machine is because of other
software already installed on it - it's a development machine - like
some VB libraries.

I'll keep searching, but would be grateful for any further thoughts you
have. It seems strange to me that VB should spit the dummy on a TRIM
statement!

(We can happily write our own TRIM function, but are concerned that
there is more to it than that).

Thanks a lot for replying.

Rgds

GB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gary Bartlett wrote:
1. It's an operating system issue. (I.e. the XP install carries the
library).

I find that I have that library (file name
C:\WINDOWS\System\appwiz.cpl) on my Windows XP machine.

That machine has Office 2002 and 2003 installed on it and not much
else.

My Windows 98 machine (with Office95, 97, 2000 and lots of other
software installed) does not have the library.

Googling on appwiz.cpl gives some hits; it appears to have something to
do with Windows XP control panel, add/remove programs dialog. Why you
should need a reference to this I don't know.

(We can happily write our own TRIM function, but are concerned that
there is more to it than that).

Yes. If there is a missing reference you will get compilation errors
on any library function you use. Just happens that TRIM was the first
one.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bill and Rob,

SORTED!

(But first, apologies to all for posting twice - two different access
points and didn't relaise that it was the same group. I'll post this
message to both threads, in case anyone else has the same problem and
doesn't realise that you guys have solved the problem.)

You were right. Deleting the reference in the file was all that was
needed.

It didn't work when I first tried it on Bill's advice - probably because
I made the change in the production environment? (Anyway, it crashed
Excel, as before, when I tried to reload it afer making the change
there.)

What I ended up doing was moving the latest version from the production
environment back to the development machine (fearing that it would crash
on the development machine, too, but finding that it didn't) and
deleting the reference there, before moving it back to the development
environment.

Worked a charm.

Thank you very much - I don't know what I or my client would have done
if we hadn't been able to fix this over the weekend!

Please contact me offline to arrange a complimentary copy of some
software that we're developing, Guys - as a quid pro quo for your help.

Rgds

GB

Gary Bartlett

Productivity Solutions