Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Tricky Graph Question

Hi, I have two raw materials A & B, I measure the amount
of each of them during a reaction. If the ratio of A:B is
ok the reaction will proceed with no further additions of
either raw material, I want to generate a tram line graph
that shows the aging of the reaction. "A" would be along
the bottom and "B" up the side, I would have two columns
of reation results, each time I would measure both A & B.
If I plot this info I get a graph with two lines on it,
how do I plot a variable amount of A against a variable
amount of B ? e.g. A=10, B=8, next data A=9, B=7, next
data A=3, B=3, next data A=1, B=1.5 and ultimately A=0.5
B=0.5.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Don, for the plug. But I think I'll give Neil a brief intro
right here.

Put your A values in one column (how about A?), and the B values in the
next column (B). Select a single cell in the range of data, or select
the entire range to be plotted. Run the chart wizard, either from the
button that looks like a little column chart, or from Chart on the
Insert menu. In step 1 of the chart wizard, select one of the XY
Scatter chart types (fifth choice on the left), not the Line chart
(third choice). Follow along with whatever embellishments you want, or
set them later.

Sample data:

10 8
9 7
3 3
1 1.5
0.5 0.5

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Neil wrote:

Hi, I have two raw materials A & B, I measure the amount
of each of them during a reaction. If the ratio of A:B is
ok the reaction will proceed with no further additions of
either raw material, I want to generate a tram line graph
that shows the aging of the reaction. "A" would be along
the bottom and "B" up the side, I would have two columns
of reation results, each time I would measure both A & B.
If I plot this info I get a graph with two lines on it,
how do I plot a variable amount of A against a variable
amount of B ? e.g. A=10, B=8, next data A=9, B=7, next
data A=3, B=3, next data A=1, B=1.5 and ultimately A=0.5
B=0.5.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Many thanks, one additional question, I want to manually
set the X & Y ranges which I can do, but I also want to
put tramlines on the graph, these are straight lines and
dictate the bounds of the ratio, if the result is within
the upper and lower tram lines then the ratio is
sufficient to react to completion, this is a kind of
cross between a normal line graph and the Scatter graph
you mention, is it possible to combine these two types of
graph ?

Neil wrote:

Hi, I have two raw materials A & B, I measure the

amount
of each of them during a reaction. If the ratio of A:B

is
ok the reaction will proceed with no further additions

of
either raw material, I want to generate a tram line

graph
that shows the aging of the reaction. "A" would be

along
the bottom and "B" up the side, I would have two

columns
of reation results, each time I would measure both A &

B.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Neil -

This time I'll let the link do the talking:

http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/...s.html#AddLine

Also, I see some confusion in your question. The difference between a
Line chart and a Scatter chart has nothing to do with whether there are
lines connecting the points. You can format a series the same way in
Line and Scatter charts: with or without markers, with or without lines.

A Scatter chart treats X values as variable numerical values, and
positions the points proportionally according to these values and the
axis min and max. A Line chart treats X values as dumb text labels, and
plots points left to right in order of their appearance in the worksheet.

For more information about axis types and chart types, see my web pages:

X Axis: Category or Value?
http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/...ValueAxis.html

Scatter Chart or Line Chart?

- Jon