Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default List Boxes (Help!)

Hi all!

I currently have two workbooks - one workbook, titled Interest Rates.xls,
contains a comprehensive listing of interest rates from various dates this
year. These dates are part of a range, titled InterestDates. The 2nd
workbook, pricing.xlt, is a template in which the user specifies what date
(s)he desires for pricing certain deals. Now here is the problem:

I need to create a list box, in the pricing.xlt template, which would
contain the dates available as specified by the range in Interest
Rates.xls - I understand that this can be done as long as both workbooks are
open. Is there anyway to program this in without having the source workbook
open? Can I refer to it using a network path? I know it can be loaded on
personal workbooks, but since we would have other users using this, is there
anyway to avoid this? Any programming tips would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Haas,

Try this,

In your pricing.xlt create one sheet that have a link with dates in
Interest Rates.xls. Once you set link, there is a no need to open
Interest Rates.xls every time. So you can use listbox or dropdown which
would picks up dates that is available from your new sheet in
pricing.xlt.

Regards,
Shah Shailesh
http://members.lycos.co.uk/shahweb/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the tip Shailesh, but I'm trying to avoid adding another
worksheet to the pricing.xlt template. I perofrmed a little "workaround" by
programming a macro which would open the source workbook, get the range,
allow the user to pick a date from this range and have a VLOOKUP function
paste the values into the appropriate area in the destination workbook
(pricing.xlt). I would then close the source workbook...

I do appreciate your suggestion, as it was implemented in a backhanded way
by my macro.

Thanks again...